What is the Fourier Transform of f(-x)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
likephysics
Messages
638
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Find the Fourier transform of f(-x)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The way I tried to solve is
Fourier series is a sum of even and odd functions.
If f(-x) is even then, f(-x)=f(x)
If f(-x) is odd then, f(-x)= -f(x)

Sum of even and odd function is neither even nor odd.
I am lost after this. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write the general equation for finding a Fourier transform? Saying it is the "sum of even and odd functions" is pretty general. I've usually seen the transform as an integral containing a complex exponential or sines and cosines.
 
ok.
F(f(-x)) = int( f(-x) e^-i2pift dt)
Not sure how to solve this.