What is the FTL drive model that is not the Alcubierre?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jerich1000
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drive Ftl Model
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jerich1000
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
This is driving me nuts and I'm forced to ask this question.

The Alcubierre FTL drive model had some limitations, so another physicist whose name began with a D or an N, I think, came up with a revised/improved model. Can you please remind me what it's called?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jerich1000 said:
This is driving me nuts and I'm forced to ask this question.

The Alcubierre FTL drive model had some limitations, so another physicist whose name began with a D or an N, I think, came up with a revised/improved model. Can you please remind me what it's called?

Thanks

Perhaps you mean Chris Van Den Broeck. One account, which I won't vouch for in detail, is described in the "difficulties" section of :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Here area the technical references for the improved warp drive:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9905084
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9906050

Note that the latter expresses this author's own skepticism as to the realization of even the improved form.

Here is a review expressing the consensus skepticism of the realizability of all such schemes:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.4960