What is the Future of Physics in Relation to Other Sciences?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
63 replies · 7K views
In science, 'there is physics and there is stamp collecting'; and there is no physics without mathematics; and there is no mathematics without logic. So, from what other science will the next contribution come? There is no other science--only stamp collecting.

All joking aside, what's the point in arguing over that which can't be proven? Regardless, I'll offer my opinion: From which "science" will come the next great breakthrough in physics? It's probably just going to come from where most great breakthroughs in physics come--the imagination, creativity.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to comment on this discussion, because I know a little about it. I'm a physics major, and my dad is a linguist, so we talk about things like this a lot. He would probably agree with those of you saying that linguistics does and will shape science, because he feels that the language we use shapes the way we think (rather than just being a way of communicating thoughts). I'm not convinced, though- I see thinking as being much more fundamental than language. Mathematics, after all, is a universal language that all people can understand. At any rate, I think the fundamental question here is "how much does our language affect the way we think?"
 
I think the most important question is our ability to survive the power of our current and future developed technologies.

After the invention of the atomic bomb we are living in a new world that can be destroyed by us every day.

So I think that the most important action that we have to seriously take, is to find the gateways between our ethical skills and our technological skills.

In other words, a comprehensive action has to be done, where Education, Linguistic, Law, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Sociology, Psychology, Ecology, Art, etc. will develop and use the art of the dialog between them, in order to reinforce our chances to survive as a developed civilization.

Instead of questions like “Who is the most important …?” we have to develop an organic approach, which looks at every part of our civilization’s wisdom body, as an essential part of the whole body.

What do you think?
 
Last edited:
kipod,

Sounds sound to me. I have an MS in physics, but have almost always worked for social concerns - they allow my conscience to express not impersonal puzzles but to practice empathy and sometimes to save lives.