What is the gravitational potential energy of the box relative to the floor?

In summary: But how?In summary, the question asks for the gravitational potential energy of an 18.5kg box slid up a 5.6m long ramp at a 33 degree angle relative to the floor. The equation for gravitational potential energy is Eg = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. The height can be calculated using trigonometry, h = l*sin(theta), where l is the length of the ramp and theta is the angle of the ramp with the floor. Plugging in the values, the gravitational potential energy of the box is 550J.
nicolehoskins

Homework Statement

An 18.5kg box is slid up a 5.6m long ramp that makes an angle of 33 degrees with the floor. What is the gravitational potential energy of the box relative to the floor?

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher gave me an answer of 550J, but I'm not sure how to show my work

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What determines the amount of gravitational potential energy of an object? You wrote an equation for kinetic energy, but that is not relevant here.

nicolehoskins said:

Homework Statement

An 18.5kg box is slid up a 5.6m long ramp that makes an angle of 33 degrees with the floor. What is the gravitational potential energy of the box relative to the floor?

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher gave me an answer of 550J, but I'm not sure how to show my work
Well, you can type it into the reply box. If you need to use special math symbols or Greek letters, you can hit the big ∑ button on the reply box toolbar or use Latex.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

What determines the amount of gravitational potential energy of an object? You wrote an equation for kinetic energy, but that is not relevant here.

Whoops, I meant Eg = mgh

Likes CWatters
Ok so m and g are easy. All you need to do is calculate h.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy required to move the object from its current position to a position with zero potential energy.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point.

3. What is the reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy?

The reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy can be chosen arbitrarily, but it is often chosen to be at the surface of the Earth. This means that the height (h) in the formula is the vertical distance from the object to the surface of the Earth.

4. How does the height of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The higher an object is positioned, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because the object has the potential to fall a greater distance and release more energy as it moves towards the reference point.

5. Does the mass of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its gravitational potential energy. The greater the mass of the object, the greater its potential energy will be, assuming the height and reference point remain constant.