What is the H+ particle in top quark decay?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter HarryDaniels
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bosons Higgs Particle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
HarryDaniels
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I am currently looking at a diagram of a top and anti top decay. The anti top decays into a weak boson and an anti bottom and the weak then decays into an electron and electron anti-neutrino. On the other side the top decays into a H+ particle and a bottom.

What is this H+ particle, is it related to the Higgs Bosons and is it proven?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HarryDaniels said:
I am currently looking at a diagram

Where?
 
Doesnt matter now, it was a google picture which wasnt objective, sorry for the post.
 
H+ particle associates for me with a .. hydrogen ion - basically a proton..
 
The charged Higgs boson, in supersymmetric extensions to the standard model and two-Higgs doublet models.
 
Does that mean that the Higgs boson is proven?
 
HarryDaniels said:
Does that mean that the Higgs boson is proven?

what do you mean "proven"?

There is no connection between Feynman diagrams and what is seen in experiments... I can make up any model and thus Feynman diagrams I want... what makes you think that just because there is a certain Feynman diagram that must reflect the physical reality?
 
HarryDaniels said:
And I meant a tauon anti-tauon.
tau decays to b,H? There are at least two things wrong with that, I think.
 
ansgar said:
what do you mean "proven"?

There is no connection between Feynman diagrams and what is seen in experiments... I can make up any model and thus Feynman diagrams I want... what makes you think that just because there is a certain Feynman diagram that must reflect the physical reality?

one of the rules of Feynman diagrams is that it has to represent a possible process that can occur in nature.
 
HarryDaniels said:
I am currently looking at a diagram of a top and anti top decay. The anti top decays into a weak boson and an anti bottom and the weak then decays into an electron and electron anti-neutrino. On the other side the top decays into a H+ particle and a bottom.

What is this H+ particle, is it related to the Higgs Bosons and is it proven?
in one of my books, i have that t decays to a W which then decays into an anti muon and muon neutrino.