What is the Impedance of a Plane Wave Passing Through a Metal?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
bayners123
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A plane wave is passing through a metal. Show that the impedance Z can be given by
[tex]Z = \sqrt{ \frac{2 \omega \epsilon _0} {\sigma} } \frac{Z_0}{1-i}[/tex] where Zo is the impedance of free space and sigma is the conductivity.

You may assume that E is polarised in the x direction.

Homework Equations



[tex]Z_0 = \sqrt{ \frac{\epsilon_r \epsilon_0}{\mu_r \mu_0}}[/tex]

[tex]E_x = E_0 e^{i(\omega t - \tilde{k} x)}[/tex]
where [tex]\tilde{k} = k - iK[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I've managed to get to the impedance in the form:
[tex]Z = \frac{ \mu_r \mu_0 \omega }{ k - iK }[/tex]
but this doesn't have any reference to the conductivity in it and I can't see how to get to the required equation from it. I thought to use [tex]\frac{\omega}{k} = \frac{c}{n} = \frac{c}{\sqrt{\epsilon_r \mu_r}}[/tex] but it didn't seem to help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, by subbing back into the wave equation I've got to
[tex]Z = \sqrt{ \frac{2 \omega}{\sigma \epsilon_r \epsilon_0}} \frac{\mu_r \mu_0}{1-i} Z_0[/tex]
which is nearly there but I can't see the last bit..

---

EDIT: Solved. I was just being silly as usual: I had the wrong equation for the speed of light in terms of mu and epsilon. Please delete
 
Last edited:
Reasons like this are why I'm glad that I was taught EM in SI units over CGS, everyone knows c from curlB. :p