Superposition of Plane EM Waves Using Complex Notation

In summary, the conversation is about a problem regarding the superposition of plane EM waves using complex notation. The equations and steps for solving the problem are provided and a trig identity is used to check the final expression.
WWCY

Homework Statement

I have a simple problem relating to the superposition of plane EM waves that I'd to try out using complex notation. Could anyone run through the work to see if my understanding is right?

Many thanks in advance!

The incident E bit of the wave is
$$\vec{E}_I = E_0 \sin(ky - wt) \hat{z} = E_0 \cos(ky - wt - \frac{\pi}{2}) \hat{z}$$
The wave propagating opposite is
$$\vec{E}_R = E_0 \sin(-ky - wt) \hat{z} = E_0 \cos(-ky - wt - \frac{\pi}{2}) \hat{z}$$

I left out the B since it was really the same thing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I generalise them to complex notation
$$\vec{\tilde{E}}_I = E_0 e^{i(ky - wt - \frac{\pi}{2})} \hat{z} $$
$$\vec{\tilde{E}}_R = E_0 e^{i(-ky - wt - \frac{\pi}{2})} \hat{z} $$
Then summing them,
$$E_0 \big [ (e^{iky} + e^{-iky})e^{-i(wt + \frac{\pi}{2})} \big] \hat{z} = E_0 \big [ (2\cos(ky))e^{-i(wt + \frac{\pi}{2})} \big] \hat{z}$$
Finally I take the real part
$$E_0 \big [ (2\cos(ky)) \cos(wt + \frac{\pi}{2}) \big] \hat{z} = -2E_0 \cos(ky) \sin(wt) \hat{z}$$

Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a trig identity that says $$\sin a+\sin b=2\sin \left(\frac{a+b}{2} \right) \cos\left(\frac{a-b}{2} \right).$$ Your expression checks out. Note: This identity can be proven quite readily using complex exponentials, which is what you did.

kuruman said:
There is a trig identity that says $$\sin a+\sin b=2\sin \left(\frac{a+b}{2} \right) \cos\left(\frac{a-b}{2} \right).$$ Your expression checks out. Note: This identity can be proven quite readily using complex exponentials, which is what you did.

Thank you!

1. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that can travel through space. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other.

2. How are EM waves represented using complex notation?

EM waves can be represented using complex notation, where the electric and magnetic fields are described by complex numbers. The real part of the complex number represents the amplitude of the wave, and the imaginary part represents the phase of the wave.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in EM waves?

The wavelength of an EM wave is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

4. How do EM waves interact with matter?

EM waves can interact with matter in various ways, depending on the properties of the material and the frequency of the wave. Some materials, such as metals, can reflect and absorb EM waves, while others, like glass, can transmit them. The interaction of EM waves with matter is the basis for technologies such as radar, x-rays, and wireless communication.

5. What are the different types of EM waves?

EM waves can be categorized into different types based on their frequency and wavelength. These include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, x-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of EM wave has different properties and interactions with matter, making them useful for various applications in science and technology.