What is the importance of 'out of this world' discussions

• Thread starter kaushik_s
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the relevance of studying topics such as the universe and string theory, with the main question being whether or not these concepts have practical applications in the world today. The general consensus is that while these theories may not have immediate practical use, they help us understand the world and can potentially lead to future innovations and advancements. Curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge are seen as important driving forces in learning mathematics and physics. The conversation also touches on the limitations and holes in current scientific models and the role of engineers in applying scientific knowledge to practical use.
kaushik_s
Hello everyone,

Usually, I think a lot about topics like, what's beyond our observable universe?, or could there be something inside an atom?, I have tried to understand string theory.

But, when I told some of my ideas about the universe to my physics lecturer, he asked me to think about something which is more useful and relavent to the world today.

That's why I wanted to know, how is thinking about topics like 'what's outside the universe', useful and relavent to the world today?

It would be helpful if I get the answer as quickly as possible. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how do you define your universe. :-)

If a universe is all that exists, there cannot be anything outside it.

First of all thankyou for the reply,
But, actually what i meant by my question was,

For example, the big bang theory gave us an idea on how the universe was born. But this type of an idea is different from the type of idea (for example:- an invention of something like a car) which helped the human race practicall. In the same way how does theories like the big bang theory etc help the human race practically. How is it relavent to the world today?

Hi,

Its all out of curiosity! Are'nt you curious to know how the Universe began? It might not be of much relevence to the general public, but in the hands of scientists, it can be used as a tool to understand the universe better, our Earth better and infact even understand the very concept on human race, better.

Studying these concepts answers many questions, pertaining to science, that otherwise could have never been answered. Theories like the Quantum Theory and String Theory, help us to understand the working of the universe, and compare it with the working of an atom, etc.

Lets take the example of a quantum computer, in order to create one, we need to understand the quantum theory. Quantum Computers, are faster than the fastest supercomputers by 10,000 times! I am sure you'd want one in the future.

Every "Out of the world" theories have their applications, in places where you would never expect them to. Hence, its not that these theories do not have any relevance, infact they explain the very existence of mankind, and can even help us predict the future. Thats how we came up with the Big Crunch theory!

Anyway, enjoy science, appreciate the beauty of the Universe, and celebrate every moment of your life, by simply asking questions:)

regards,
math_way

I guess curiosity should be your driving force behind learning maths and physics.

I must emphasize that even the big bang model has holes in it, our picture of the universe is always incomplete and my hunch is that it will always be as such.

Does it help me to know that everything started with a bang, not really, I can concieve a lot of other possible ways for the universe to begin, a car with a chauffeur will help me a lot more.

But people who get into science don't really care about what's practical, we want to find the truth.
Engineers on the other hand will apply your science eventually (hopefully).

That said, every now and then big experiments lead to some ingenuity in technology, take the internet as one of them, this was developed by a cern physicist (the WWW) to communicate fastly information, and see how we benefited from this.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

i was really expecting for such an answer. Now as i got a satisfactory reason, i can confidently ask more and more questions.

Once again, Thankyou

math_way said:
Hi,

Its all out of curiosity! Are'nt you curious to know how the Universe began? It might not be of much relevence to the general public, but in the hands of scientists, it can be used as a tool to understand the universe better, our Earth better and infact even understand the very concept on human race, better.

Studying these concepts answers many questions, pertaining to science, that otherwise could have never been answered. Theories like the Quantum Theory and String Theory, help us to understand the working of the universe, and compare it with the working of an atom, etc.

Lets take the example of a quantum computer, in order to create one, we need to understand the quantum theory. Quantum Computers, are faster than the fastest supercomputers by 10,000 times! I am sure you'd want one in the future.

Every "Out of the world" theories have their applications, in places where you would never expect them to. Hence, its not that these theories do not have any relevance, infact they explain the very existence of mankind, and can even help us predict the future. Thats how we came up with the Big Crunch theory!

Anyway, enjoy science, appreciate the beauty of the Universe, and celebrate every moment of your life, by simply asking questions:)

regards,
math_way

What a nice response, math_way. Thanks for that sentiment.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I guess curiosity should be your driving force behind learning maths and physics.

I must emphasize that even the big bang model has holes in it, our picture of the universe is always incomplete and my hunch is that it will always be as such.

Does it help me to know that everything started with a bang, not really, I can concieve a lot of other possible ways for the universe to begin, a car with a chauffeur will help me a lot more.

But people who get into science don't really care about what's practical, we want to find the truth.
Engineers on the other hand will apply your science eventually (hopefully).

That said, every now and then big experiments lead to some ingenuity in technology, take the internet as one of them, this was developed by a cern physicist (the WWW) to communicate fastly information, and see how we benefited from this.

Another wonderful response, MathematicalPhysicist.

Thank you bobc2! Its my pleasure!:)

1. What is the definition of 'out of this world' discussions?

'Out of this world' discussions refer to conversations or topics that are beyond the scope of everyday life or reality. These discussions often involve theories, ideas, or concepts that are not yet fully understood or proven.

2. Why are 'out of this world' discussions important?

These discussions are important because they allow us to explore and expand our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. They also encourage critical thinking and creativity, as we are challenged to think outside the box.

3. How do 'out of this world' discussions contribute to scientific progress?

'Out of this world' discussions often involve questioning current theories and exploring new possibilities. This can lead to new hypotheses and experiments, ultimately contributing to scientific progress and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. Are 'out of this world' discussions only relevant to scientists?

No, these discussions can be beneficial for anyone. They can spark curiosity and inspire individuals to learn more about a variety of topics. They also promote open-mindedness and critical thinking skills, which are valuable in all areas of life.

5. What are some examples of 'out of this world' discussions?

Examples of 'out of this world' discussions include topics such as the possibility of extraterrestrial life, the concept of time travel, and the exploration of parallel universes. Other examples may include discussions about the origins of the universe, the nature of consciousness, and the potential for technological advancements in the future.