What Is the Incident Photon Wavelength in Maximum Energy Compton Scattering?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
zing478
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If the maximum energy transferred to an electron during Compton Scattering is 50KeV, what is the wavelength of the incident photon?


Homework Equations


[tex]\lambda[/tex]' - [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]_{o}[/tex] = h/(Me*c)(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])


The Attempt at a Solution


We know that the maximum energy transfer for compton scattering occurs when:
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 180
[tex]\phi[/tex] = 0

So when [tex]\theta[/tex]=180
[tex]\lambda[/tex]' - [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]_{o}[/tex] = 0.00486nm

Everything I've tried looking up involves the scattered photon as well (like the momentum, energy, wavelength equations)

Any tips on where to look/where I can go next?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the conservation of momentum and energy.

One has the energy of the electron, from which one can obtain the momentum.

pph = E/c
 
I'm still stuck at finding the momentum of the electron. I know it's going to have 50 000ev of Kinetic Energy, but I'm not sure how to relate it to momentum.
 
One could do it either classically, e.g. p = mv and KE = 1/2 mv2 = 1/2 p2/m, where m is the rest mass, or relativistically where m = [itex]\gamma[/itex]mo, taking into account the change in mass with velocity.

50 keV is ~0.1 of the rest energy 0.511 MeV.
 
I can't solve this problem too! Please help me! I am taking exams next week and i 'm supposed to know what happens! my prof gave us a little help by saying these:

1). 1239.8/E=... (and i think from this we have λο)
2). ΔΕ -> Εφ=Εφ'+Εmax(e) -> 50keV=Εφ-Εφ' (where Eφ=photon's energy)
3) θ=π since (1-cosθ)=max

Can anybody help??