What is the integral of sin^3(t)cos^4(t) using u-substitution?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discussed a trigonometric integration problem and the process of solving it using substitution. The final result was a differentiated function that was a result of the integral. The question of how to check the answer during a test without a calculator was also brought up.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Whit 8.7.23} trig u subs s87.3 nmh{1000}
$\displaystyle
I=\displaystyle\int {\sin^3\left({t}\right) \cos^4\left({t}\right)} \ d{t}
=\int\ (1-\cos^2\left({t}\right)) \cos^4\left({t}\right) \sin\left({t}\right) \ dt \\
\begin{align}\displaystyle
u& = \cos\left({t}\right)&
du&=-\sin\left({t}\right) \ d{t} \\
\end{align}\\

I=-\displaystyle\int\left(1-u^2\right)u^4 \ du = - \displaystyle\int\left(u^4-u^6\right) \ du \\
\text{integrate }\\
I =-\left[ { \dfrac{u^5}{5}}
-\dfrac{u^7}{7}\right] + C \\
\text{back substitute }\\
I = { \dfrac{\cos^7{t} }{7}}
-\dfrac{\cos^5\left({t}\right)}{5} + C$
Hopefully😰

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's it. Good work!

Much Mahalo

MHB has done a lot to help me prepare for the MAT 206 class coming up in August👓

Just curious how can an answer be checked without using a calculator which you can't do during a test.

Differentiate the result.

Was this the entire question? Or was it an integral resulting from having done a trigonometric substitution?

Both 🐮

Related to What is the integral of sin^3(t)cos^4(t) using u-substitution?

1. What is a trigonometric substitution?

A trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the original integral, allowing for easier integration.

2. How do I know when to use trigonometric substitution?

You can use trigonometric substitution when the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression or when the integral involves expressions of the form (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2), (x^2 + a^2)^(1/2), or (x^2 - a^2)^(1/2), where a is a constant.

3. What is the purpose of "-w8.7.23" in the notation "-w8.7.23 trig u subs int"?

The notation "-w8.7.23" indicates the specific problem number or section in a math textbook or curriculum, where the concept of trigonometric substitution is being applied.

4. Can I use trigonometric substitution for any type of integral?

No, trigonometric substitution is only applicable for certain types of integrals involving trigonometric functions. Other techniques, such as integration by parts or u-substitution, may be necessary for integrals that cannot be solved using trigonometric substitution.

5. Are there any specific rules to follow when using trigonometric substitution?

Yes, there are specific substitutions to use for different types of trigonometric expressions. These include substituting u = sin(x), u = cos(x), u = tan(x), or other variations depending on the specific integral. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate substitution to simplify the integral.