What is the interval of definition for solutions of differential equations?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ali Asadullah
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definition Interval
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Ali Asadullah
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
What is interval of definition of a solution of a Differential Equation?
How can we find the interval of definition of a differential equation?
What are the properties of this interval?
Is the solution of the DE and DE itself are continuous and differentiable on the interval?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The interval of definition of a solution to a differential equation is the largest interval upon which is it "sufficiently" differentiable (a solution of a second order differential equation must be twice differentiable, etc.) from which is follows that it is continuous, and on which it satisfies the given differential equation.

I'm not sure I have ever seen the phrase "interval of definition" applied to a differential equation itself before. But I will say that it doesn't make sense to talk about the equation itself being "continuous and differentiable". I assume you mean that the functions in the differential equation are differentiable. Again, "differentiable" implies "continuous" so it isn't necessary to say that.
 
Dear Sir, if we are given an Initial value problem, say at x0, y=y0, then the interval of definition will be the largest interval containing the (x0,y0) on which the solution is "sufficiently differentiable. Am i right sir?