Solutions to differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a differential equation and how the equations y' and y'(x) are equivalent and can be set equal to each other. The general solution to the differential equation is shown to be y(x)=Ae^(λx) where A is a constant and λ is a parameter.
nick.martinez
y(x)=A*e^(λx) ; y'=λy

attempt at solution:

y'(x)= Ae^(λx)*λ

λy= Ae^(λx)*λ

divide by λ, which cancel. then i get:

y=Ae^(λx)

i want to say the differential equation holds but the issue i see is that y' and y'(x) are not equal derivatives, so my final answer is that the differential equation does not hold. what do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$ y=\text{Ae}^{\text{$\lambda $x}}\text{ } $$

Latex accident! Will repost later today :)

So you want to show that [itex]y(x)= Ae^{\lambda x}[/itex] is the general solution to the differential equation [itex]y'= \lambda y[/itex] or that it is a solution? The first is harder than the second! I don't understand what you mean when you say " y' and y'(x) are not equal derivatives". They are just slightly different ways of writing exactly the same thing- the first just doesn't have the "(x)" which is assumed since y is a function of x.

But your "proof" is a little over complicated. All you need is

If [itex]y= Ae^{\lambda x}[/itex] then [itex]y'= A\lambda e^{\lambda x}= \lambda (A e^{\lambda x})= \lambda y[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
So you want to show that [itex]y(x)= Ae^{\lambda x}[/itex] is the general solution to the differential equation [itex]y'= \lambda y[/itex] or that it is a solution? The first is harder than the second! I don't understand what you mean when you say " y' and y'(x) are not equal derivatives". They are just slightly different ways of writing exactly the same thing- the first just doesn't have the "(x)" which is assumed since y is a function of x.

But your "proof" is a little over complicated. All you need is

If [itex]y= Ae^{\lambda x}[/itex] then [itex]y'= A\lambda e^{\lambda x}= \lambda (A e^{\lambda x})= \lambda y[/itex].

when i say y' I am referring to the equation y'=λy and also refferring to y'(x)=Ae^(λx)*x in my example. i know they are both the same. Do the two equations i listed above look equal to each other?

nick.martinez said:
when i say y' I am referring to the equation y'=λy and also refferring to y'(x)=Ae^(λx)*x in my example.
There's a typo here. I think you mean y'(x) = Aλeλx.
nick.martinez said:
i know they are both the same. Do the two equations i listed above look equal to each other?
Equations are not "equal" to each other. Equations can be equivalent, which means they have the same set of solutions.

For your differential equation y' = λy, it can be shown that all solutions are of the form y = Aeλx. If you differentiate the latter equation, you get y' = Aλeλx = λy.

Mark44 said:
There's a typo here. I think you mean y'(x) = Aλeλx.
Equations are not "equal" to each other. Equations can be equivalent, which means they have the same set of solutions.

For your differential equation y' = λy, it can be shown that all solutions are of the form y = Aeλx. If you differentiate the latter equation, you get y' = Aλeλx = λy.
So in this case I can set y' and y'(x) equal to each other even though when I take the derivative of y(x) i get y'(x)=Ae^(λx)*λ which does not equal y' = λy? Again I did set them equal to each other and got the original y(x). So this is a solution to a diff eq.

You've got me really confused. If [itex]y= Ae^{\lambda x}[/itex] then [itex]y'= A\lambda e^{\lambda x}= \lambda(Ae^{\lambda x})= \lambda y[/itex] They are exactly the same!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You've got me really confused. If [itex]y= Ae^{\lambda x}[/itex] then [itex]y'= A\lambda e^{\lambda x}= \lambda(Ae^{\lambda x})= \lambda y[/itex] They are exactly the same!

Thanks I wasn't thinking never mind. Thanks for the clarification.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are typically used to model one-dimensional systems, while partial differential equations are used to model multi-dimensional systems.

What is the solution to a differential equation?

The solution to a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation. It can be found by integrating the equation or using other techniques such as separation of variables or power series.

What are initial and boundary conditions?

Initial conditions are values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain. Boundary conditions are values of the dependent variable at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions are necessary for a unique solution to a differential equation.

How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used to model and understand various phenomena in science and engineering, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry to make predictions and solve problems.