What is the inverse of 466ft^2/gal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jactre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
jactre
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
The description for a certain brand of house paint claims a coverage of 466 ft2/gal. (a) Express this quantity in square meters per liter. (b) Express this quantity in an SI unit (see Appendices A and D). (c) What is the inverse of the original quantity?

I got answers for a) and b).

a) 466ft^2/gal x 1m^2/10.76ft^2 x 1 gal/231in^3 x 61.02in^3/1L = 11.44 m^2/L

b) 11.44m^2/L x 1000L/1m^3 = 11440m^-1 (L is the SI unit for volume)

c) I originally did 1/466 to get the inverse of 466ft^2/gal to get 0.002 gal/ft^2 but this is WRONG.

Any help on part C would be very much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
I don't see how .002 gal/ft^2 is wrong. Could they mean in liters/meter^2 ?

I didn't understand this either. In this example, the units were given so I know gal/ft^2 is correct.

Thanks for your help!
 
It's probably considered wrong because 466 has 3 significant digits, whereas 0.002 only has one.