6.1.1 AP Calculus Inverse of e^x

In summary: It was a typo that I made because I was focused on the original pdf. The title of the original pdf is "(e^x)^2". That's exactly the same as e^{2x}.It's understandable to make a typo when trying to explain a typo situation, but the best way to handle it is to correct it in a follow-up post.In summary, the inverse function of $f(x)=e^{2x}$ is incorrectly stated as $\dfrac{1}{2}\ln x$ in the given answer choices. The correct inverse function is $f^{-1}(x)=\ln\dfrac{x}{2}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
If $f^{-1}(x)$ is the inverse of $f(x)=e^{2x}$, then $f^{-1}(x)=$$a. \ln\dfrac{2}{x}$
$b. \ln \dfrac{x}{2}$
$c. \dfrac{1}{2}\ln x$
$d. \sqrt{\ln x}$
$e. \ln(2-x)$

ok, it looks slam dunk but also kinda ?

my initial step was
$y=e^x$ inverse $\displaystyle x=e^y$
isolate
$\ln{x} = y$

the overleaf pdf of this project is here ... lots of placeholders...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WyjkfLAzhs4qF3RYOgSJrllP4hoKC5d4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse of $f(x)=e^x$ is $f^{-1}(x) = \ln{x}$

... there is an obvious mistake in the answer choices.

Maybe a typo? $f(x) = e^{2x}$ ?

[DESMOS]advanced: {"version":7,"graph":{"showGrid":false,"viewport":{"xmin":-6.972973201241764,"ymin":-5.621621669007776,"xmax":13.027026798758236,"ymax":6.733590697123048}},"expressions":{"list":[{"type":"expression","id":"graph1","color":"#2d70b3","latex":"f(x)=e^x"},{"type":"expression","id":"2","color":"#388c46","latex":"\\left(\\frac{1}{2}\\right)\\ln x"},{"type":"expression","id":"3","color":"#c74440","latex":"y=x","lineStyle":"DASHED"}]}}[/DESMOS]

well graphing it looks like its (c)

so how?

the graph is close, but no cigar.

$f(1)=e \implies f^{-1}(e) =1$

however, if $f^{-1}(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\ln{x}$, then $ f^{-1}(e) = \dfrac{1}{2} \ne 1$

have another look ...

Attachments

• 8676C566-3BE3-409D-BCAB-BC029C93B763.jpeg
    8676C566-3BE3-409D-BCAB-BC029C93B763.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 78
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/9567

ok looks like your suggestion of $y=x^{2x}$ is correct:cool:

karush said:
ok looks like your suggestion of $y=x^{2x}$ is correct:cool:
And that was not what he suggested! Please be more careful what you are writing or you are just wasting our time!

post #2 looks like a suggestion to me!

Yes, but post 2 suggested that the original problem might be to find the inverse function of [tex]f(x)= e^{2x}[/tex], not of [tex]f(x)= x^{2x}[/tex] as you say in post 5!

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, but post 2 suggested that the original problem might be to find the inverse function of [tex]f(x)= e^{2x}[/tex], not of [tex]f(x)= x^{2x}[/tex] as you say in post 5!

I inspected the pdf. It looks to me that the typo is in the original problem.
That is, I think the writers of the pdf made the mistake.
We can only guess about what it should have been.

But i don't see anything in the first post that is connected with [tex]x^{2x}[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
But i don't see anything in the first post that is connected with [tex]x^{2x}[/tex].

Ah yes. That's true. That was a typo when referring to a suggested possible typo about a typo in the opening post that was actually a presumed typo in the original pdf.

What is the inverse of e^x in AP Calculus?

The inverse of e^x in AP Calculus is ln(x), also known as the natural logarithm. This means that if y = e^x, then x = ln(y).

Why is the inverse of e^x important in AP Calculus?

The inverse of e^x is important in AP Calculus because it allows us to solve exponential equations and model exponential growth and decay in real-world situations. It also helps us to understand the relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions.

How do you find the inverse of e^x in AP Calculus?

To find the inverse of e^x in AP Calculus, we can use the property that the inverse of a function switches the x and y values. So, for e^x, we can switch the x and y values and solve for y to get ln(x).

What is the domain and range of the inverse of e^x in AP Calculus?

The domain of the inverse of e^x is all positive real numbers, since ln(x) is only defined for positive values of x. The range is all real numbers, since ln(x) can take on any real value.

What is the graph of the inverse of e^x in AP Calculus?

The graph of the inverse of e^x, ln(x), is a logarithmic curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches 0 and increases without bound as x increases. It has a vertical asymptote at x = 0 and a horizontal asymptote at y = 0.