What is the largest number of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn?

In summary, the conversation discusses the largest number of vectors that can exist in a real n-dimensional space, with the condition that the dot product of any two vectors is equal to 0 if they are not in the same position. The discussion references a couple of solutions found online and delves into the details of the proof. It also touches on the difference between linear independence and linear dependence in an n-dimensional space. The conversation ends with the mention of an interesting unsolved problem related to this topic.
RandomGuy1
This is my question:

What is the largest m such that there exist v1, ... ,vm ∈ ℝn such that for all i and j, if 1 ≤ i < j ≤ m, then ≤ vivj = 0

I found a couple of solutions online.
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/31436/largest-number-of-vectors-with-pairwise-negative-dot-product
http://math.stanford.edu/~akshay/math113/hw7.pdf (problem 10. But it's basically the same solution as the one in the link above)

I kind of understand the contradiction but I don't get why there won't be a contradiction when you take m = n + 1. This is my first course in linear algebra, so far I've learned about linear independence, subspaces, orthogonality but I'm not very familiar with things like inner product spaces - only dot products. I need someone to explain this in simpler terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
RandomGuy1 said:
This is my question:

What is the largest m such that there exist v1, ... ,vm ∈ ℝn such that for all i and j, if 1 ≤ i < j ≤ m, then ≤ vivj = 0

I found a couple of solutions online.
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/31436/largest-number-of-vectors-with-pairwise-negative-dot-product
http://math.stanford.edu/~akshay/math113/hw7.pdf (problem 10. But it's basically the same solution as the one in the link above)

I kind of understand the contradiction but I don't get why there won't be a contradiction when you take m = n + 1. This is my first course in linear algebra, so far I've learned about linear independence, subspaces, orthogonality but I'm not very familiar with things like inner product spaces - only dot products. I need someone to explain this in simpler terms.
I'm referring to the argument in the pdf.

In case b), where M or N is 0, they use the last, until then unused, vector, ##v_{n+2}##, to get the contradiction. So we need one vector kept on the side.

Now let's go back to the start of the proof. If m=n+1, and we have to keep one vector on the side, there are only n vectors left to work with. But the argument started with noticing that the n+1 vectors must be linearly dependent. That worked because we had n+1 vectors in an n-dimensional space. With n vectors in an n-dimensional space, you can't be sure that they are linearly dependent. Hence, you don't have the equation marked by (*) in the pdf.

Likes RandomGuy1
I got it. Thank you so much.

as often happens your problem is incorrectly stated here. you have to specify non zero vectors to get a contradiction. i.e. a sequence of zero vectors, no matter how long, satisfies the statement you gave above.

1. What is the definition of mutually obtuse vectors?

Mutually obtuse vectors are a set of vectors in a vector space where each pair of vectors is at an angle of 90 degrees or greater. In other words, they are vectors that are perpendicular or nearly perpendicular to each other.

2. What is the significance of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn?

In geometry and physics, mutually obtuse vectors are important because they represent orthogonal directions in space. This property is useful in many applications, including calculating forces and velocities in three-dimensional systems.

3. How many mutually obtuse vectors can exist in Rn?

The maximum number of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn is n, where n is the dimension of the vector space. This means that in three-dimensional space (R3), the maximum number of mutually obtuse vectors is three.

4. Is there a limit to the number of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn. As mentioned before, the maximum number is n, where n is the dimension of the vector space. However, there can be less than n mutually obtuse vectors in Rn depending on the configuration of the vectors.

5. How can we determine the largest number of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn?

The largest number of mutually obtuse vectors in Rn can be determined by using geometric and algebraic techniques. One method is to find the maximum number of linearly independent vectors in Rn, which is n. Another method is to use the Gram-Schmidt process to orthogonalize a set of n linearly independent vectors. The resulting vectors will be mutually obtuse.