1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the largest number of SO3 molecules

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    okay. i have a test in chemistry tomorrow and ive been studying forever but im really having trouble with some problems on the study guide. for example, one of the problems is 1) consider the reaction
    Mg(s)+I2(s)---->MgI2(s) Under which of the following reaction conditions will Mg be the limiting reagent?

how would i go to do that? i know the answer is a) 200 atoms of Mg and 300 molecules of I2 and B) .16 mol Mg and .25 mol I2 but only because someone told me

2) Consider the reaction
    2 SO2 + 02 ---> 2SO3
    What is the largest number of SO3 molecules which could be made from 381 SO2 molecules and 185 O2 molecules?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Both of these questions are the same, just use your starting material and find out how much of the product you will form. The one that forms the least is the Limiting reagent.

Also, for question 1. Are you given actual starting material?

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    no for question one you aren't given actual starting material.. but like for question 2, how do you get molecules to like grams? or do i not have to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?