What is the limit of $\frac{sin(sin\ x)}{x}$ as $x$ approaches infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter planauts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
planauts
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{a \to \infty} \frac{sin(sin\ x )}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I was thinking about starting off by multiplying by sin(x) over sin(x)

[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{a \to \infty} \frac{sin(sin\ x )}{x} * \frac{sin\ x }{sin \ x}[/tex]Don't know if that would help...

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
planauts said:

Homework Statement


[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{a \to \infty} \frac{sin(sin\ x )}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I was thinking about starting off by multiplying by sin(x) over sin(x)

[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{a \to \infty} \frac{sin(sin\ x )}{x} * \frac{sin\ x }{sin \ x}[/tex]


Don't know if that would help...

Thanks

What is a? Do you mean x? And (sinx)/x goes to 1 only if x is approaching 0. So I'm not sure this would work.
 
[tex]-1\leq\sin(x)\leq 1[/tex], so the value inside the parentheses restricts the outside sin() function, while the denominator grows without bound