Proving $\infty$ Limit of $x\sin(\frac{\pi}{x})=1$

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)\right)=\pi## can be proven without using L'Hopital's Rule by rewriting it as ##\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{\sin(\pi/x)}{1/x}## and using the fact that ##\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{\sin(u)} u = 1##. The spelling of the rule can be either "l'Hopital" or "l'Hospital," with the latter being the more modern spelling.
Karol

Homework Statement

Prove ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)\right)=1##

Homework Equations

$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin\pi}{x}=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If i could multiply ##~x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)~## with something that would cancel the sin
or to express: ##~\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)=2\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2x}\right)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2x}\right)##
But it doesn't help

Physics news on Phys.org
What expressions of the sine function are you allowed / willing to use, e.g. Taylor series or with the help of the exponential function? Have you considered to substitute ##x \mapsto \frac{1}{y}##?

Karol said:

Homework Statement

Prove ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)\right)=1##

Homework Equations

If i could multiply ##~x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)~## with something that would cancel the sin
or to express: ##~\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)=2\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2x}\right)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2x}\right)##
But it doesn't help

The stated result is false.

Karol said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

But it doesn't help
The relevant equation you give isn't much help. ##\ \sin(\pi)=0 \ , \ ## so that's saying that lim (0) = 0 .

As Ray says, ## \displaystyle \ \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)\right)\ne 1\ .##

However this limit does exist.

You might consider:##\ \displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(\frac{\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)} {\frac 1 x } \right) ##

Added in Edit:
Better yet:
For ##\ \displaystyle \left| \frac{\pi}{x}\right | \ll 1 \ ,\ ## what is the behavior of ##\ \displaystyle \sin\left( \frac{\pi}{x}\right ) \ ?##

Last edited:
I made a mistake, i have to prove ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)\right)=\pi##
It's about finding the circumference of a circle by approximation of n sided polygon.
$$\lim_{x \to \infty} \left( x \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right)=\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x \cdot \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right)=\pi$$

Karol said:
I made a mistake, i have to prove ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)\right)=\pi##
It's about finding the circumference of a circle by approximation of n sided polygon.
$$\lim_{x \to \infty} \left( x \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right)=\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x \cdot \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right)=\pi$$
L'Hopital's Rule works for this problem. You need to rewrite the limit expression in this form:
$$\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{\sin(\pi/x)}{1/x}$$

But the book didn't teach Lhopital's yet, but i derived and it gives π.
Is my previous answer correct, i mean can i make the transition ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \left( x \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right)=\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x \cdot \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right) ~##?

Karol said:
Without using L'Hopital's Rule, you can do this:
##\frac{\sin(\pi/x)}{1/x} = \frac{\sin(\pi/x)}{\pi/x} \cdot \pi##
By letting ## u = \pi/x##, you can take the limit as u approaches zero, and use the fact that ##\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{\sin(u)} u = 1##
Karol said:
Is my previous answer correct, i mean can i make the transition ##~\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \left( x \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right)=\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(x \cdot \left( \frac{\pi}{x} \right) \right) ~##?
That's probably OK, maybe. You can make the argument that if w is close to 0, ##\sin(w) \approx w##. The way I outlined above is better, I think.

Karol said:

You don't need l'Hospital to get ##\lim_{t \to 0} \sin(t)/t = 1##. In fact, you need a demonstration of this result in order to develop expressions for the derivatives of the trigonometric functions.

Ray Vickson said:
You don't need l'Hospital to get ##\lim_{t \to 0} \sin(t)/t = 1##
That is right, they didn't use l'Hopital.
Thank you Ray, Mark, Sammy and fresh.

Karol said:
That is right, they didn't use l'Hopital.
Thank you Ray, Mark, Sammy and fresh.
l'Hopital or l'Hospital? (Pronounced as lo-pee-tal in any case).

The remarks following remarks from Paul's On-line Math Notes deal with this issue:

"Before proceeding with examples let me address the spelling of “L’Hospital”. The more modern spelling is “L’Hôpital”. However, when I first learned Calculus my teacher used the spelling that I use in these notes and the first textbook that I taught Calculus out of also used the spelling that I use here.

Also, as noted on the Wikipedia page for L’Hospital's Rule,

“In the 17th and 18th centuries, the name was commonly spelled "l'Hospital", and he himeself spelled his name that way. However, French spellings have been altered: the silent 's' has been removed and replaced with the circumflex over the preceding vowel. The former spelling is still used in English where there is no circumflex.”

So, the spelling that I’ve used here is an acceptable spelling of his name, albeit not the modern spelling, and because I’m used to spelling it as “L’Hospital” that is the spelling that I’m going to use in these notes."

1. What does it mean to prove the infinite limit of a function?

Proving the infinite limit of a function means showing that as the input value approaches infinity, the output value of the function approaches a specific value or goes to infinity. This is a mathematical way of describing how a function behaves as its input value becomes very large.

2. Why is the infinite limit of this specific function important?

The infinite limit of the function $x\sin(\frac{\pi}{x})=1$ is important because it is a key example of how a function can approach a specific value as its input value approaches infinity. It also demonstrates the concept of a removable discontinuity, where the function has a hole at a specific point but is still continuous.

3. How can we prove the infinite limit of this function?

To prove the infinite limit of this function, we can use the definition of a limit and show that as the input value, x, approaches infinity, the output value, $x\sin(\frac{\pi}{x})$, approaches 1. This can be done by manipulating the function algebraically and using trigonometric identities.

4. What is the significance of the number 1 in this function?

The number 1 in this function represents the limit that the output value approaches as the input value approaches infinity. It is also the value of the function at the removable discontinuity, where the function has a hole at $x=0$.

5. Are there other functions that have the same infinite limit as $x\sin(\frac{\pi}{x})=1$?

Yes, there are other functions that have the same infinite limit as $x\sin(\frac{\pi}{x})=1$. For example, $x^2\sin(\frac{\pi}{x})$, $x\sin(\frac{2\pi}{x})$, and $x\sin(\frac{\pi}{2x})$ all have the same limit of 1 as $x$ approaches infinity. These functions are all similar in that they have a removable discontinuity at $x=0$ and approach a specific value as $x$ becomes very large.