What is the logical setup that determines the epoch of the CMB?

• Thread starter kmarinas86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb
In summary: Here is a PDF that goes in more detail about the theory behind the idea.Chronos,Thank you for the site. Maybe I should have asked about "cosmological, fluid dynamics theorists", other than me. I have an agenda, but I am certainly not trying to keep it hidden.I understand your argument regarding turbulence, I do not understand how you perceive there is any loss of momentum.I am putting forward a model
kmarinas86
I'm not sure how it is derived.

Do we follow this order?
1. Temperature at last scattering/recombination/decoupling (3000 K)
2. Measuring the temperature of the CMB (~3K)
3. 3000K/~3K = 1100
4. z=1100
5. t(z)

Or this order?
1. Assume Big Bang and Inflation
2. Determine Volume and Pressure
3. Determine required temperature
4. Temperature at last scattering/recombination/decoupling (3000 K)
5. Measuring the temperature of the CMB (~3K)
6. 3000K/~3K = 1100
7. z=1000
5. t(z)

Space news on Phys.org
kmarinas86 said:
I'm not sure how it is derived.

Do we follow this order?
1. Temperature at last scattering/recombination/decoupling (3000 K)
2. Measuring the temperature of the CMB (~3K)
3. 3000K/~3K = 1100
4. z=1100
5. t(z)

Or this order?
1. Assume Big Bang and Inflation
2. Determine Volume and Pressure
3. Determine required temperature
4. Temperature at last scattering/recombination/decoupling (3000 K)
5. Measuring the temperature of the CMB (~3K)
6. 3000K/~3K = 1100
7. z=1000
5. t(z)

Hey marinas, you are solving for a time (or a z) when a certain medium becomes transparent. It is not perfectly straightforward, I think it is more like solving several SIMULTANEOUS equations.

If the medium is less dense, then it does not have to be so cooled down. If it is more cooled down then it can be less rarified. there are various different trade-off conditions that can cause it to become transparent.

I read about this in a book one time, it was slightly complicated to do it right. It was not a straightforward 1. 2. 3. logic.
You had to doodle around until you got some combination of density and temperature that was sufficiently transparent for the photons to run free (at least for long enough so that before they got scattered again it could cool down some more and get more transparent... and so on)
It is a "mean free path" kind of calculation.
on a clear day you can fly forever:smile:

Maybe one of us here will explain to you with equations. maybe it is simpler than I remember. It took about one page IIRC

Last edited:
You pretty much have it right kmarinas. There is a fairly linear relationship between z and the current CMB temperature - albeit the mathematical details are daunting. If you apply fluid mechanics [as many theorists have done], you derive a decent approximation of the CMB temperature over time, and it flattens out [becomes increasingly linear] over time.

From the measurement of the current CMB temperature you can get the redshift of the last scattering surface if the temperature at recombination is known. This is correct. It is missing, however, that to determine the temperature at recombination you have to measure or estimate the baryon to photon ratio before.

try starting with [1/(1+z)]^3/2

Chronos said:
If you apply fluid mechanics [as many theorists have done]

Chronos,
I am very interested in the subject of 'fluid mechanics' in regards to cosmological problems. I have more than a sneaky hunch the visible universe is acting as if it were an 'ideal liquid' pulse/jet that has transited from a laminar to a turbulent condition due to lose of momentum.

Could you hook me up sitewise with some of the theorists you spoke of?
aguy2

Last edited:
aguy2 said:
Chronos,
I am very interested in the subject of 'fluid mechanics' in regards to cosmological problems. I have more than a sneaky hunch the visible universe is acting as if it were an 'ideal liquid' pulse/jet that has transited from a laminar to a turbulent condition due to lose of momentum.

Could you hook me up sitewise with some of the theorists you spoke of?
aguy2
Sure, here is a good place to start:
http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~ir118/MAE87F03/MAE87F03.html. But, given your question, I'm not certain that is a satisfactory answer. I perceive you have a hidden agenda. I understand your argument regarding turbulence, I do not understand how you perceive there is any loss of momentum.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Sure, here is a good place to start:
http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~ir118/MAE87F03/MAE87F03.html. But, given your question, I'm not certain that is a satisfactory answer. I perceive you have a hidden agenda.
Thank you for the site. Maybe I should have asked about "cosmological, fluid dynamics theorists", other than me. I have an agenda, but I am certainly not trying to keep it hidden.

Chronos said:
I understand your argument regarding turbulence, I do not understand how you perceive there is any loss of momentum.

I am putting forward a model that sees the all-matter, observable, visible universe as a "polar pulse/jet" from a still existent BB event/body. The "pulse" has lost momentum and as a consequence has transited from its former laminar flow to its present turbulent one.

Do you see what I getting at?
aguy2

Yes. But it appears to require us to be very fortunately aligned with the flow. Would we not otherwise see huge anisotropies in the CMB?

Chronos said:
Yes. But it appears to require us to be very fortunately aligned with the flow. Would we not otherwise see huge anisotropies in the CMB?
Sorry about the late response. I have found a site that although it was not ment as a cosmological model of a possible pulse/jet condition, if you place our streaming galactic cluster a little left of center, you might see a developing structure that has a eerie resemblance to a possible dipole/octipole situation. see the animation of figure 3 at: http://www.physics.nmt.edu/~dynamo/PJRX/Results.html

I also made a public semi-pseudo-science prediction in Oct. 2003, concerning possible WMAP3 data at: http://physics.about.com/b/a/2003_10_15.htm?terms=bb+electronics

While you at it, you might want to check out www.self-creation.net[/URL] although this is more philosophy than science.

Sorry again for the late response.
aguy2

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the CMB and why is it important for studying the universe?

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) is the oldest light in the universe, dating back to the Big Bang. It is a faint and uniform glow of microwave radiation that permeates the entire universe. Studying the CMB provides valuable insights into the early universe, its evolution, and the formation of structures.

2. How is the epoch of the CMB determined?

The epoch of the CMB is determined by measuring the temperature of the radiation and comparing it to theoretical predictions. According to the Big Bang model, the universe has been expanding and cooling since the Big Bang. By measuring the temperature of the CMB, we can determine the time when the universe was hot enough for protons and electrons to combine and form neutral atoms, a process known as recombination, which occurred approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

3. What is the significance of the epoch of the CMB?

The epoch of the CMB is significant because it marks the time when the universe became transparent, allowing light to travel freely, and the first stable atoms were formed. This event created the conditions necessary for the formation of stars, galaxies, and other structures that we see in the universe today.

4. How do scientists measure the temperature of the CMB?

The temperature of the CMB is measured using specialized telescopes called CMB experiments. These telescopes are designed to detect and measure the faint microwave radiation from the CMB. The temperature is measured in units of Kelvin (K) and is found to be approximately 2.7 K, making it one of the coldest things in the universe.

5. How does the epoch of the CMB relate to the age of the universe?

The epoch of the CMB is directly related to the age of the universe. Since the CMB is the oldest light in the universe, its temperature can be used to calculate the age of the universe. By measuring the temperature of the CMB, scientists have estimated the age of the universe to be around 13.8 billion years old.