What is the Lorentz Transformation Equation and its Use in Relativity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ggolu2
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I really don't understand what it is and what is the use of constant, like in this equation of transformation.
x=k(x' + vt).
The equation can also be good if it is just like this,
x=x' + vt

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So you are saying the $$F=\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}$$?

That is certainly not true.
Do you believe that ##F=x##?(Hookes law)
Yes this is valid for a elastic constant of 1 but not valid for any other constant.
 
No this is about theory of special relativity. It uses transformation law to derive the equations of Lorentz transformation. And my question is about the use of the constant, I mean how they thought that there must be a constant such that this equation holds good at high speeds.
 
ggolu2 said:
I really don't understand what it is and what is the use of constant, like in this equation of transformation.
x=k(x' + vt).
The equation can also be good if it is just like this,
x=x' + vt

Thank you.

Are you sure there is constant "k"?
Cause I read today Lorentz,and I saw nothing about that?
Also if there is,then what is the value of "k" ?
 
The Lorentz transformation for x is
$$x^\prime = \frac{x - vt}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}$$
You should be able to read off the value of k from that equation. (We usually call it ##\gamma##.)
 
Last edited: