Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox - Find Where I Went Wrong

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's attempt to understand the Lorentz Transformation equation and special theory of relativity. They compare the derivation with a thought experiment and find that the equation fails. They ask for help in finding where they went wrong and mention that the problem may start with the concept of simultaneous events in different frames of reference. The conversation ends with a request for the speaker to start a new thread and use a specific feature to post equations, as attachments should not be used for this purpose.
Rahul Mohan P
Hi All;
I was trying to understand Lorentz Transformation equation and special theory of relativity, but as I compared the derivation with a thought experiment I created I found the whole Lorentz Transformation Equation fails. The details of the problem is given in the pdf file attached. I know I m wrong but I wish you help me to find where I went wrong. Thank You.

Attachments

• Lorentz Transformation Paradox.pdf
    317.1 KB · Views: 257
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the problem starts here: "Two light sources (L1, L2) are emitted inside the spacecraft from point ‘P’ and point ‘A’ simultaneously as shown in figure."
Simultaneous events in one frame of reference are not necessarily simultaneous in another frame of reference.

Rahul Mohan P said:
I know I m wrong but I wish you help me to find where I went wrong.

Please start a new thread and use the PF LaTeX feature to post your equations. Attachments should not be used for this purpose. Thread closed.

Related to Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox - Find Where I Went Wrong

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox?

The Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox is a concept in physics that arises from the special theory of relativity. It refers to a situation where an observer sees a different result when applying the Lorentz transformation equations to two events that occur at the same time in different reference frames.

2. Can you explain the Lorentz Transformation Equation?

The Lorentz Transformation Equation is a mathematical formula used to describe how measurements of space and time differ between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It is based on the principles of the special theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox?

The Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox highlights the counterintuitive nature of the special theory of relativity. It demonstrates that our everyday understanding of space and time may not hold true in situations where objects are moving at high speeds relative to each other. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where precise measurements of space and time are crucial.

4. How is the Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox resolved?

The Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox is resolved by understanding that it is a result of our limited perception and understanding of space and time. The special theory of relativity provides a more accurate and precise description of the laws of physics, which have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox?

One common misconception is that the Lorentz Transformation Equation Paradox is a flaw in the special theory of relativity. However, it is actually a consequence of the theory and has been consistently supported by experimental evidence. Another misconception is that the paradox can be resolved by considering only one reference frame, but this overlooks the fundamental principle of relativity that all inertial frames are equally valid.