What is the lower bound for the product term with a limit of M>=2?

In summary, the product $\displaystyle \prod_{n=1}^\infty (1-m^{-n})$ has a close upper bound of $e^{-m/(m-1)}$ and a lower bound greater than $e^{-m/(m-1)^2}$, for any $m \geq 2$.
bincy
View attachment 145 where M>=2. A close upper bound also will be useful(not like 1 as the upper bound). Thanks in advance.This is also QPochhammer[1/M,1/M,inf]. Courtesy to mathematica.

Attachments

• Tex2Img_1335784100.gif
    Tex2Img_1335784100.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
bincybn said:
View attachment 145 where M>=2. A close upper bound also will be useful(not like 1 as the upper bound). Thanks in advance.This is also QPochhammer[1/M,1/M,inf]. Courtesy to mathematica.

If that is what Mathematica thinks it sums to then you can be reasonably confident that there is no simple closed form for that sum in terms of elementary functions.

I can think of a couple of methods of getting upper bounds, the first is to take logs then use the first term of the power series expansion of:

\(\displaystyle \log\left(1-\frac{1}{M^i}\right)<- \frac{1}{M^i} \)

so:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left(\log \left(1-\frac{1}{M^i} \right) \right) <- \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{M^i}= -\; \frac{1}{M}\;\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{M}}=\frac{1}{1-M} \)

Then exponentiating we get:

\( \displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{\infty} \left(1-\frac{1}{M^i}\right) < e^{\frac{1}{1-M}} \)

A second way is to bound the infinite sum above by intergrals.

CB

Thanks. Can you tell anything about the lower bound? My doubt is whether it will converge to zero or not?

I think, i got the ans for my own previous question. Can anyone pls verify it? All suggestions are always welcome.\(\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\) converges(Thanks to Mr. CaptainBlack for the upper bound) strictly above zero.

Consider a problem as follows: (I posted this in some other forum for some other purpose. Here I am repeating it for a different purpose. Hope that it won't violate the rules)

I have divided time into different slots, transmitting different coins(one in each slot) with probability of heads Bernoulli\(\displaystyle P_{k}=\frac{1}{M^{k}}\) where k is the slot index.
Then \(\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\) is the P (Head never happens) = 1-P (Head ever happens) =1-\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left\{ \prod_{j=1}^{i-1}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{j}}\right)\right\} *\left(\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left\{ \prod_{j=1}^{i-1}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{j}}\right)\right\} *\left(\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\) < \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{M^{i}}\) since \(\displaystyle \left\{ \prod_{j=1}^{i-1}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{j}}\right)\right\}\) always less than 1 \(\displaystyle \forall M \geq2\) .

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left\{ \prod_{j=1}^{i-1}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{j}}\right)\right\} *\left(\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\) < \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{M-1} \leq 1\)(=1 for M=2)

Therefore \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left\{ \prod_{j=1}^{i-1}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{j}}\right)\right\} *\left(\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\) < 1

and \(\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{M^{i}}\right)\) > 0.

Last edited:
bincybn said:

The function...

$\displaystyle \phi(z)=\prod _{n=1}^{\infty} (1-z^{n})$ (1)

... is know as 'Euler's Function'. An explicit elementary expression of (1) is not know so that we try the series expansion of its logarithm...

$\displaystyle \ln \phi(z)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \ln (1-z^{n})= -\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\ \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^n k}{k}= -\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}\ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} z^{n k}= - \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^{k}}{k\ (1-z^{k})}$ (2)

Any finite sum of (2) is an 'upper bound' of the function and if k increases then the 'upper bound' is more close to the function. Setting $z=\frac{1}{m}$ in (2) if You uses only the first term of the series You obtain...

$\displaystyle \prod _{n=1}^{\infty} (1-m^{-n}) < e^{- \frac{1}{m-1}}$ (3)

If You use two terms of the series expansion You obtain...

$\displaystyle \prod _{n=1}^{\infty} (1-m^{-n}) < e^{- \frac{1}{m-1}}\ e^{- \frac{1}{2\ (m^{2}-1)}}$ (4)

... and so one...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

bincybn said:
Can you tell anything about the lower bound? My doubt is whether it will converge to zero or not?
You can get it bounded away from 0 (for any $m>1$) like this. First, for $0<x<1$, $$ -\ln(1-x) = x + \tfrac{x^2}2 + \tfrac{x^3}3 + \ldots < x + x^2 + x^3 + \ldots = \tfrac x{1-x}.$$
Then $\displaystyle -\sum_{n=1}^\infty\ln(1-m^{-n}) < \sum_{n=1}^\infty \tfrac1{m^n-1}.$ But $m^n-1 = (m-1)(m^{n-1} + \ldots + 1) > m^{n-1}(m-1)$, and therefore $$-\sum_{n=1}^\infty\ln(1-m^{-n}) < \sum_{n=1}^\infty \tfrac1{m^{n-1}(m-1)} = \tfrac m{(m-1)^2}.$$

Thus $\displaystyle \prod_{n=1}^\infty (1-m^{-n}) > e^{-m/(m-1)^2}.$

Related to What is the lower bound for the product term with a limit of M>=2?

1. What is the definition of "limit of a product term"?

The limit of a product term is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of the product of two or more functions as their input values approach a certain value or "limit". It is commonly denoted as lim f(x)g(x) as x approaches a certain value.

2. How is the limit of a product term calculated?

The limit of a product term can be calculated by evaluating the limit of each individual function and then multiplying the resulting limits together. In other words, lim f(x)g(x) = lim f(x) * lim g(x) as x approaches a certain value.

3. What is the importance of understanding limits of product terms?

Understanding limits of product terms is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in calculus and related fields. It allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values as their inputs approach certain values.

4. Can the limit of a product term exist if the individual limits do not exist?

No, if the limit of at least one of the individual functions does not exist, then the limit of the product term also does not exist. However, it is possible for the individual limits to exist while the limit of the product term does not, if there is a discontinuity in the product term.

5. Are there any special cases for finding the limit of a product term?

Yes, there are a few special cases that can arise when finding the limit of a product term. These include when one or more of the functions involved is a constant, when one or more of the functions approaches infinity, and when the functions involve trigonometric or exponential functions.