1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnetic dipole moment of the sphere?

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniformly charged solid sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q, and is set spinning with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex] about the z axis. (a) What is the magnetic dipole moment of the sphere?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \vec{m} = I \int d\vec{a} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    having a lot of difficulty with this stuff

since we are talking about a solid sphere ... first find volume current density [itex] J = \rho v[/itex]
    [tex] \rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/tex]
    [tex] v = \omega \times r = \omega r sin\theta [/tex]

so [tex] J = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} \omega r sin\theta [/tex]
    is this ok so far??

alright now to find the total current [itex] I = \int J \cdot da [/itex]

[tex] I = \int \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} \omega R^3 \sin^2\theta d\theta d\phi [/tex]

this doesnt seem dimensionally correct since the radians do not cancel out ...

where have i gone wrong??? Is it the part of the angular momentum??

thansk for your help

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2
    Hello,

There are different current for different point on the spining solid sphere.
    The magnitude of current density [tex]J[/tex] you have is correct.
    But the total magnetic moment should be
    [tex]\vec{m}=\int d\vec{m}[/tex]
    ,where [tex]d\vec{m}[/tex] is a thin ring with radius [tex]r\sin\theta[/tex] rotating along z-axis.
    The cross section area of the thin ring is [tex]dr\cdot rd\theta[/tex].
    The effective current due to the thin ring is [tex]J(dr\cdot rd\theta)[/tex].
    Therefore, [tex]d\vec{m}=\hat{z}J(dr\cdot rd\theta)\pi(r\sin\theta)^2[/tex].
    You can substitute the magnetic moment element into the first integral above and find the aim.

Good luck

4. May 29, 2007 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use (in Gaussian units)
    [tex]{\vec m}=\frac{1}{2c}\int{\vec r}\times{\vec j}d^3r[/tex]

5. May 29, 2007 #4
    ok so since [tex] \vec{m} = \frac{1}{2} \int \vec{r} \times \vec{J} d\tau [/tex]
    in SI units
    [tex] J = \rho v = \rho (\omega \times r) [/tex]

[tex] m = \frac{1}{2} \int r \times \rho (\omega \times r) d\tau [/tex]
    using the appropriate product rule

[tex] m = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega(r\cdot r) - r(\omega \cdot r)\right) d\tau = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega r^2 - r^2\omega\cos\theta)\right) d\tau [/tex]

the second term in the integrand is zero since [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos\theta\sin\theta d\theta =0 [/tex]

so we hav
    [tex] m =\frac{\rho}{2} \int \omega r^2 d\tau = \frac{\rho\omega}{2} \int_{0}^{R} r^4 dr (4\pi) = \frac{4\pi\rho\omega}{2} \frac{R^5}{5} [/tex]
    but [tex] \rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/tex]

so [tex] m = \frac{2\pi\omega R^5}{5} \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} = \frac{3}{10} Q\omega R^2 [/tex]

the answer is supposed to be [tex] \frac{1}{5} Q\omega R^2[/tex]

maybe im missing some factors??

6. May 29, 2007 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\oint d\Omega{\vec r}({\vec r}\cdot\omega)
    =4\pi r^2\omega/3.[/tex]

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  7. Apr 19, 2009 #6
    i think there is a mistake in tis integral. but i dont know where. XD
    [tex]
    m = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega(r\cdot r) - r(\omega \cdot r)\right) d\tau = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega r^2 - r^2\omega\cos\theta)\right) d\tau
    [/tex]

8. Apr 19, 2009 #7
    [tex]
    m = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega(r\cdot r) - r(\omega \cdot r)\right) d\tau = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega r^2 - r^2\omega\cos\theta)\right) d\tau [tex]

9. May 2, 2009 #8
    the correct answer is = 1/3*Q*R^2*w .... please correct your solution as soon as possible .

10. Jan 27, 2010 #9
    I disagree. I get [tex]\vec m = \frac 15 Q \omega R^2 \hat k[/tex]. I see the mistake as having been made in the second integration above; it's NOT identically zero. The [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] components are because of the integration in [tex]\phi[/tex], but the [tex]z[/tex] component is nonzero. Don't forget that the first "r" that shows up in the second integration is [tex]\vec r[/tex], NOT [tex]|\vec r|[/tex]. Since we're working in spherical coordinates, this has three components with complicated expressions in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?