What is the magnitude and direction of impulse in a ball-bat collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter harvellt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impulse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
harvellt
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ball is moving toward a batter at 32m/s and weighs 0.15kg. After the batter hits it goes 105.0m at an initial angle of 52 degrees. What is the magnitude of the impulse the ball receives in the collision with the bat, and what is the direction of the impulse?


[b2. Homework Equations [/b]
I=MV+MV'

Xmax=(2V2 sin [tex]\phi[/tex] cos [tex]\phi[/tex])/g

The Attempt at a Solution


I am having trouble finding the initial velocity of the ball after the collision. I tried using the second equation and found the velocity to be 32m/s. Is it wrong to use that formula to find the original velocity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
harvellt said:

Homework Statement


After the batter hits it goes 105.0m at an initial angle of 52 degrees.

What it means ? velocity of displacement?
 
The ball leaves the bat at a angle of 52 degrees and travels a distance of 105 meters befor it lands, neglecting the height of the collision.
 
OK, now can you find the velocity of projection. you have the angle of projection and the range.
 
Use projectile equation. In that angle of projection is 52 degree and range is 105 m. And find velocity of the ball with which it leaves the bat.
 
Yes. Velocity of the ball hitting the bat and leaving the bat is nearly equal. (32 m/s and 32.6 m/s). Now what is angle with which the ball hits the bat?
 
Last edited:
Thank you all so much I got it my major problem after I found the V0 was a sign mistake. I forgot the fact that the x velocity needed to have opposite signs, and now I have it.