Finding Work From Impulse: Calculating Impact on a Ball by a Bat

In summary, the conversation discussed two scenarios of a pitcher throwing a ball and a batter either swimming or swinging at the ball. The ball and bat have specific masses and the impact between them is assumed to last for a certain amount of time with a given coefficient of restitution and constant force. The questions asked for the impulse exerted on the ball by the bat and the work done on the ball by the bat in both scenarios. The solution involved using the equations ΣFΔt=mΔv for impulse and W=FΔd for work. The calculated values for both scenarios were 25Ns for impulse and 187.5J for work.
x2017

Homework Statement

Consider the following two scenarios.
(A) A pitcher throws a ball at -55m/s and the batter swims at 25m/s.
(B) A pitcher throws a ball at -25m/s and the batter swings at 55m/s.
The ball has a mass of 0.15kg and the bat has a mass of 1kg. Assume that the impact between the ball and the bat lasted for 0.3s, the coefficient of restitution was 0.5 and that the force of impact maintained a constant value throughout impact.

Question a) For both scenarios: what impulse was exerted on the ball by the bat?
Question b) For both scenarios: how much work was done on the ball by the bat?

Homework Equations

ΣFΔt=mΔv
W=FΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

I thiiiink that I got question a)

(A)
ΣFΔt=mΔv
ΣFΔt=(1)(25)
ΣFΔt=25Ns

(B)
ΣFΔt=mΔv
ΣFΔt=(1)(55)
ΣFΔt=55Ns

I am unsure of how to go from impulse to calculate work in question b).

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I think I got it! Realized I did part a) wrong and was able to get b).

1. How can "Finding Work From Impulse" benefit my career?

"Finding Work From Impulse" can benefit your career by helping you tap into your natural abilities and passions, leading to more fulfilling and satisfying work. It also teaches you how to trust your intuition and make more confident and effective decisions in your career.

2. Is "Finding Work From Impulse" only for certain types of careers?

No, "Finding Work From Impulse" can be applied to any type of career or industry. The principles and techniques can be tailored to fit your specific goals and aspirations, regardless of your field or background.

3. How can I incorporate "Finding Work From Impulse" into my job search?

"Finding Work From Impulse" can be incorporated into your job search by using the techniques and strategies to identify job opportunities that align with your natural abilities and interests. It can also help you make confident and informed decisions during the application and interview process.

4. Can "Finding Work From Impulse" help with career transitions?

Yes, "Finding Work From Impulse" can be a valuable tool for career transitions. It can help you identify new paths or opportunities that align with your strengths and passions, and guide you in making a successful transition to a new career.

5. How long does it take to see results from using "Finding Work From Impulse"?

The results from using "Finding Work From Impulse" may vary depending on individual circumstances. However, with consistent application of the principles and techniques, many people have seen positive changes in their career within a few weeks or months.