What is the magnitude of the force?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nmi13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Magnitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
nmi13
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Mike is training for a strongman competition. Using a rope, Mike is pulling a locomotive of mass 2.00 x 10^4 kg coupled to two 0.50 x10^4 kg rail cars. Mike causes the train to accelerate at 0.045 m/s^2 . What is the magnitude of the force in the coupling between the locomotive and first car?[/B]
Mass of locomotive = 2.00*10^4 kg
Mass of each rail cars = 0.5*10^4 kg
acceleration = 0.045m/s^2

Homework Equations


F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution


I just don't know exactly how to begin to answer this question. I am unable to find any similar questions to help me out with. A nudge in the right direction is all I need. Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nmi13 said:

Homework Statement


Mike is training for a strongman competition. Using a rope, Mike is pulling a locomotive of mass 2.00 x 10^4 kg coupled to two 0.50 x10^4 kg rail cars. Mike causes the train to accelerate at 0.045 m/s^2 . What is the magnitude of the force in the coupling between the locomotive and first car?[/B]
Mass of locomotive = 2.00*10^4 kg
Mass of each rail cars = 0.5*10^4 kg
acceleration = 0.045m/s^2

Homework Equations


F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution


I just don't know exactly how to begin to answer this question. I am unable to find any similar questions to help me out with. A nudge in the right direction is all I need. Thank you!

Draw a free body diagram for the rail cars. I.e for the last car, there is a net force pulling the car forward such that the acceleration of the last car is 0.045 m/s^2. What is that force? That force is equal and opposite the force at the back of the first car, pulling back. At the front of the first car, there is also a force pulling it forward. The net force on the first car is such that the first car is accelerating at 0.045 m/s^2. What is the force at the front of the first car?