What is the mass of a POPC lipid? I cannot find it through online searches

• Thread starter darussiaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the mass of a POPC lipid molecule is 760.076 g/mol according to Avanti Polar Lipids. This information may not be easily accessible through online searches and may require access to journal articles for confirmation.
darussiaman
What is the mass of a POPC lipid?? I cannot find it through online searches

Hi. It seems like a simple question to me. I just want to know the mass of a POPC lipid molecule either in amu or any other mass unit.

From searching online I only get results of journal articles that did something or other with POPC lipids for experiments but I either don't have access to these papers or it seems that they do not directly state this anywhere anyway.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

According to Avanti Polar Lipids it its molecular weight is 760.076 g/mol.

Great, thanks!

1. What is a POPC lipid?

POPC stands for 1-palmitoyl-2-oleoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine, which is a type of phospholipid commonly found in cell membranes.

2. How is the mass of a POPC lipid determined?

The mass of a POPC lipid is typically determined through mass spectrometry, a technique that measures the mass-to-charge ratio of molecules. This allows for the identification and quantification of different types of lipids present in a sample.

3. What is the molecular weight of a POPC lipid?

The molecular weight of a POPC lipid is approximately 760 g/mol.

4. Why is the mass of a POPC lipid difficult to find through online searches?

The mass of a POPC lipid may be difficult to find through online searches because it can vary depending on the specific source or manufacturer of the lipid. Additionally, the mass of a POPC lipid may also depend on its physical state (e.g. solid or liquid) and the presence of any modifications.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the mass of a POPC lipid?

Yes, the mass of a POPC lipid can be affected by various factors such as the degree of unsaturation in the fatty acid chains, the presence of any modifications or adducts, and the purity of the sample. Additionally, the mass may also vary depending on the specific analytical method used for measurement.