What is the Mass Ratio Between 12C and 13C Atoms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lorek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Ratio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lorek
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the ratio of mass of a 12C atom to a 13C atom

The Attempt at a Solution



12.011/13 = .9239230769

Solution given at back of book = .92286
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The atomic weight of C-12 is 12.011, the atomic weight of C-13 is 13. I divided the weight of C-12 by the weight of the C-13 to get a ratio.
 
12.011 is not an atomic weight of C-12, just like 35.45 is not a mass of Cl atom.
 
Ok, I understand that the atomic weight's are weighted averages. I just used the atomic weight because it asks for a ratio between two atoms. As for how to set it up I don't have the slightest idea how to set it up, no example problems to model form, nor solution steps.