Calculating Age of Fossil Using 14C/12C Ratio

• Thread starter element1945
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Ratio
In summary: This is the ratio of 14C to 12C in living tissue.You are given what something - it almost doesn't matter what it is - is now i.e. starts off as, what it has decayed to in a sample, and the time it takes it to decay to half what of whatever it started as. At least a ballpark for the object's age you should be able to tell us straight off. Tell us. It might jog you mind for what you have to do for more refined calculation.In summary, the age of the fossil where a 14C/12C ratio of 6.1x10^-13 is measured is 5451 years old.
element1945

Homework Statement

Determine how old is a fossile where a 14C/12C ratio of 6.1 x 10^-13 is measured. 14C desintegration has a half-life of 5760 +- 40 years and proportion 14C/12C in living tissue is 1.17 x 10^-12. Determine the error in your calculation.

Homework Equations

Radioactive decay equation N=N0 exp(-kt/T)

The Attempt at a Solution

If N0= 1.17x10^-12
N = 6.1x10^-13
k= 0.693
T = 5800 or 5720

Solving in the equation gives

t= 5451 years for 5800 half-life and
t= 5376 years for 5720 half-life.

But inst supposed to be more years than the half-life of 14C?
I don't understand please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
element1945 said:
But inst supposed to be more years than the half-life of 14C?

Why? Please elaborate.

What percentage of the original 14C is left in the sample?

Ok in the problem there's no data for 14C left in the sample. the only facts are the ratio in the sample: 6.1x10^-13, and the ratio of a living tissue: 1.17x10^-12. how to i calculate the 14C left in the sample? and there's the half-life...there are no other facts :(

do the ages that i calculate are correct?

Imagine you have 1 mole of carbon in the sample. From given ratios, how many moles of 14C should be present in this amount of carbon in living tissue? How many moles will be present in the 1 mole of carbon from the fossil?

Ages look OK, although you have probably used rounded down k for calculations, thus my results are about a 1 or 2 years higher.

The moles of 14C in the living tissue are

(1.17 atoms 14C / 6.023x10^23 atoms) x 1 mol = 1.94x10^-24 mol

I am correct?

element1945 said:
The moles of 14C in the living tissue are

(1.17 atoms 14C / 6.023x10^23 atoms) x 1 mol = 1.94x10^-24 mol

I am correct?
Wrong track - Avogadro number etc. irrelevant. You are given what something - it almost doesn't matter what it is - is now i.e. starts off as, what it has decayed to in a sample, and the time it takes it to decay to half what of whatever it started as. At least a ballpark for the object's age you should be able to tell us straight off. Tell us. It might jog you mind for what you have to do for more refined calculation.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
Wrong track - Avogadro number etc. irrelevant.

While it is irrelevant, starting with known quantity often helps to understand what is going on. In the end Avogadro number will cancel out, but for many beginners it is much easier to compare well defined amounts of substance, than some abstract percentages and/or proportions.

Still, element1945 - you are wrong. You are told that

[tex]\frac {number of ^{14}C atoms} {number of ^{12}C atoms} = 1.17*10^{-12}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Age of Fossil Using 14C/12C Ratio

1. How does the 14C/12C ratio help in calculating the age of a fossil?

The 14C/12C ratio is a measure of the amount of carbon-14 (14C) to carbon-12 (12C) present in a sample. As 14C is radioactive and decays at a predictable rate, the ratio can be used to determine how long ago the sample was once living.

2. What is the half-life of 14C and how is it relevant in dating fossils?

The half-life of 14C is approximately 5,730 years. This means that after 5,730 years, half of the original amount of 14C in a sample will have decayed. By measuring the remaining amount of 14C and comparing it to the initial amount, the age of the sample can be calculated.

3. What are some potential sources of error in using the 14C/12C ratio to date fossils?

One potential source of error is contamination from modern carbon, which can skew the 14C/12C ratio and give an inaccurate age. Additionally, the amount of 14C in the atmosphere has not always been constant, which can affect the accuracy of the dating method.

4. Can the 14C/12C ratio be used to date all types of fossils?

No, the 14C/12C ratio can only be used to date fossils that were once living and contain carbon. This method cannot be used for fossils that are millions of years old, as the amount of 14C will have decayed to undetectable levels.

5. Are there any alternative methods for dating fossils besides using the 14C/12C ratio?

Yes, there are several other methods for dating fossils, such as potassium-argon dating, uranium-lead dating, and electron spin resonance dating. Each method has its own advantages and limitations and is used depending on the age and composition of the fossil being dated.