What is the maximum energy that the electron can obtain?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum energy that an electron can obtain after being scattered by a photon with 44 keV of energy. The equations used are E=hc/λ, δλ=h/mc(1-cosx), and Ei=Es+KEe. The attempt at a solution involves finding the wavelength of the scattered photon using equation 1, maximizing equation 2 by setting x equal to pi, and using equation 3 to find the maximum energy of the electron. However, the calculated energy of the incident photon and the maximum energy of the electron are incorrect. The mistake may lie in the use of an incorrect value for α in the equation KE=hvα(1-cosφ)/(1+
MrPunk44
1. Homework Statement
Problem 1) A photon having 44 keV scatters from a free electron at rest. What is the maximum energy that the electron can obtain?

I already used all of my attempts on this problem so I can't check whether or not any attempt on this forum is successful. Hopefully that's not a problem.

Homework Equations

1) ##E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}##
2) ##\delta \lambda = \frac{h}{mc} (1-cosx)##
3) ##E_i = E_s + KE_e##

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the maximum energy the electron can obtain I first need to find the energy of the incident photon. In order to do that I must first find the wavelength of the scattered photon.

I use equation 1 for the wavelength of scattered photon. 1240ev*nm / 44000ev = .02818 nm. Then I maximize equation 2 by allowing x to equal pi. RHS equals 4.8488E-12 m. Since the incident photon has a higher energy I know it's wavelength must be smaller than .02818 nm. Therefore, I calculate .02818E-9 m - 4.8488E-12 m = .0233nm, which is the wavelength of the incident photon. Equation 1 gives me 53150ev as the energy of incident photon. Finally, equation 3 gives me 9150 ev as the maximum energy the electron can obtain.

Where'd I go wrong?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
KE=hvα(1-cosφ)/(1+α(1-cosφ)
α=8.1x10^-21v
KEmax=2hvα/(1+2α)

1. What is the maximum energy that an electron can obtain?

The maximum energy that an electron can obtain is dependent on the system in which it is found. In free space, the maximum energy is infinite, however, in a bound system such as an atom, the maximum energy is limited by the energy levels allowed by the system.

2. Is there a limit to how much energy an electron can have?

In theory, no, there is no limit to how much energy an electron can have. However, in practical terms, the maximum energy an electron can have is limited by the energy levels allowed by the system in which it is found.

3. How is an electron's maximum energy determined?

An electron's maximum energy is determined by the energy levels allowed by the system in which it is found. These energy levels are determined by the properties of the system, such as its size, shape, and composition.

4. Can an electron have different maximum energies in different systems?

Yes, an electron's maximum energy can vary in different systems. This is because the energy levels allowed by the system are dependent on its properties, which can vary from system to system.

5. What factors affect an electron's maximum energy?

The maximum energy of an electron is affected by the properties of the system in which it is found, such as its size, shape, and composition. Additionally, external factors such as electric and magnetic fields can also influence an electron's maximum energy.