What Is the Maximum Length a Stainless Steel Wire Can Hang Without Deforming?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Arshad_Physic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Engineering Intro
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Arshad_Physic
Messages
50
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A long cylindrical wire of stainless steel alloy hangs vertically, supporting only its own weight. What is the maximum length the wire can have without experiencing plastic deformation?

E = 28 Mpsi
Density = 483 lb/(ft^3)
Yield Stress 35 ksi


Homework Equations



ε = σ/E, where E = modulus

ε = ΔL / L

ΔL = FL/AE


The Attempt at a Solution



I did ε = σ / E = 0.00125. σ is the Yield Stress

Then I used this equation: ε = ΔL / L and hence I got L = 800ΔL

But I am stuck here - totally stuck! :o


Please help! :) I have spent a long time on this!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Problem resolved. Answers.yahoo guys solved it. I don't know how to delete this....:)

Thanks to all those who read this though! :)

PS: Answer is 10434.78 ft, if someone comes and is looking for answer to this question and stumbles upon this webpage! :D