What is the meaning of BPS D-branes ?

• Thread starter chongchong
  • Start date
In summary, a "BPS state" is a solution to the field equations that preserves some of the supersymmetries, and a state of parallelly placed D-branes corresponds to a member of the BPS multiplet when acted on by an unbroken supersymmetry transformation.
chongchong
What is the meaning of "BPS D-branes"?

I often read the statement like the following;

"A state of D-branes parallely pleced in flat 10 dim space is a BPS state, because some of superchages remain unbroken."

I think that every "BPS state" is one member(state) of a certain BPS multiplet.
So my question is:

Which state of the BPS multiplet dose a state of parallely pleced D-branes correspond to?

Physics news on Phys.org

chongchong said:

"A state of D-branes parallely pleced in flat 10 dim space is a BPS state, because some of superchages remain unbroken."

So my question is:

Which state of the BPS multiplet dose a state of parallely pleced D-branes correspond to?

A "BPS State" is a solution to the field equations that preserves some (but not all) of the supersymmetries of the field equations. Branes are BPS solutions of the supergravity equations under this definition, and that is why you see statements like the one you quoted.

The "BPS Multiplet" you are referring to would correspond to what you get if you act on the stack of branes with one of the unbroken supersymmetry transformations. This would probably give you things like translations and rotations of the stack, etc.

Thank!

chongchong said:

So my question is:

The "BPS Multiplet" you are referring to would correspond to what you get if you act on the stack of branes with one of the unbroken supersymmetry transformations. This would probably give you things like translations and rotations of the stack, etc.

What is a BPS D-brane?

A BPS (Bogomol'nyi-Prasad-Sommerfield) D-brane is a type of extended object in string theory that is characterized by its ability to preserve a certain amount of supersymmetry. It is a mathematical construct that represents a higher-dimensional space on which strings can end.

What is the significance of BPS D-branes in string theory?

BPS D-branes play a crucial role in string theory as they are the only objects that can break spacetime supersymmetry while preserving a certain amount of supersymmetry. They also provide a way to connect the different string theories and are essential in understanding the dynamics of strings in higher dimensions.

What is the difference between BPS and non-BPS D-branes?

The main difference between BPS and non-BPS D-branes lies in their ability to preserve supersymmetry. BPS D-branes preserve a certain amount of supersymmetry, while non-BPS D-branes do not preserve any. This leads to different physical properties and behaviors of these objects in string theory.

How are BPS D-branes related to black holes?

BPS D-branes are closely related to black holes in string theory. They are believed to be the microscopic description of certain types of black holes. This connection has led to the study of BPS D-branes as a way to gain insights into the nature of black holes and their behavior.

Can BPS D-branes exist in our observable universe?

It is currently a topic of research whether BPS D-branes can exist in our observable universe. Some theories suggest that they may exist at the microscopic level, but their existence has not been confirmed yet. Further research and experiments are needed to determine their existence in our observable universe.