What is the meaning of equation: M = ∑mi

• Thread starter rudy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person's confusion regarding an equation on a formula sheet for an exam. They question if the answer is too obvious, and it is confirmed that the equation represents the sum of individual masses. The formula sheet is for an exam on conservation of energy, Newton's laws, and momentum/collisions.
rudy

Homework Statement

This equation is on a formula sheet for an exam and I'm not sure what type of problem it even applies to.

Homework Equations

M = ∑mi
(The i is supposed to be written as a subscript in this equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

Total mass = sum of individual masses? This seems too obvious. Is this really the answer?

The formula sheet is for an exam on conservation of energy, Newton's laws and momentum / collisions.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
rudy said:

Homework Statement

This equation is on a formula sheet for an exam and I'm not sure what type of problem it even applies to.

Homework Equations

M = ∑mi
(The i is supposed to be written as a subscript in this equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

Total mass = sum of individual masses? This seems too obvious. Is this really the answer?
Without any further context, I would say you are correct -- sum of the individual masses.
rudy said:
The formula sheet is for an exam on conservation of energy, Newton's laws and momentum / collisions.

Thanks in advance

Sounds good to me, thanks

1. What do the symbols in this equation represent?

In this equation, M represents the total mass, ∑ represents the summation symbol, and mi represents the individual masses being added together.

2. How is this equation used in science?

This equation is commonly used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to calculate the total mass of a system by adding together the masses of its individual components.

3. Can this equation be applied to any type of mass?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of mass, whether it is the mass of atoms, molecules, or larger objects.

4. Is this equation related to any other scientific concepts?

Yes, this equation is related to the concept of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms.

5. How do you solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you would first need to gather the values for each individual mass (mi) and then add them together using the summation symbol (∑). The resulting value is the total mass (M) of the system.