Thrust 6.05MN, mass 4,520,000 lbm, what is the acceleration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
dani546237
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
if the first stage provides a thrust of 6.05 mega-Newtons [MN] and the space shuttle has a mass of 4,520,000 pound-mass [lb Subscript m], what is the acceleration of the spacecraft in miles per hour squared [mi divided by h squared]?
Equation: F=ma
conversions:
1000m=0.621mi
3600s=1 hour
I'm aware of these conversions but I'm not sure what's the next step to at least approach this conversion
So I am using the formula F=ma
after converting I plugged it into F=ma equation

attempted at the problem:
I converted to 6.05x10^6N= 2049886.621kg x acceleration
I'm not sure how to find the acceleration since all I have in N and kg but I need mi/h^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the force is in Newtons and the mass in kilograms, then F/m gives you the acceleration in m/s2. You will have to convert that to mi/h2.