What is the meaning of 'kappa' in Parcs cross-section input files?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
SebastianF
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Background:
For a BWR-transient calculation I'm trying to convert cross-sections I got from PSG2/Serpent simulations in Parcs [CrossSection] Input files.

My Question:
Parcs makes use of
SNF Nu-fission cross section​
SKF Kappa-fission cross section​

I assume this means Nu (as in neutrons/fission-event times fission cross section) but I'm not familiar with kappa in this context. Anyone have an idea what it denotes?

P.S.
Any and all documentation or insights about parcs cross-section input files would be more than welcome.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a definition of kappa-fission in this thesis.
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/theses/available/etd-03012005-134843/unrestricted/etd.pdf

Just search on kappa (see page 27/127 of the pdf, or page 17, eq. 4.2d), where kappa is related to the local power density.
 
Last edited by a moderator: