What is the meaning of r' in the Multipole Expansion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Tony Hau
Messages
107
Reaction score
30
Homework Statement
A sphere of radius R, centred at the origin, carries charge density $$\rho(r,\theta) = k\frac{R}{r^{2}}(R-2r)sin\theta,$$
where ##k## is a constant. Find the approximate potential for points on the z axis, far from the sphere.
Relevant Equations
The multipole expansion: ##V(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{r^{l+1}}\int(r^{'})^{l} P_l (cos\alpha)\rho(r^{'})d\tau^{’}##
The diagram of the problem should look something like this:
1598435599606.png
,which is just the normal spherical coordinate.To calculate the potential far away, we use the multipole expansion.

##I_o## in the expansion is ok, because ##(r^{'})^{0} = 1##.

However, I am wondering how I should calculate ##I_1##, because ##(r^{'})^{1} = r^{'}##; I have to care what ##r^{'}## actually means. I know ##r## is just the normal spherical coordinate ##r##.

Can anyone kindly explain? Thanks for your answer in advance because I have learned a great deal from the forum!
 
Attachments
  • 1598435547876.png
    1598435547876.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 211
Physics news on Phys.org
##r'## is the coordinate of charge particles inside sphere.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
Abhishek11235 said:
##r'## is the coordinate of charge particles inside sphere.
Then what is ##r##?
 
It is called a dummy argument. It still represents the radial coordinate and should disappear after integration (which is a definite integral, don't forget the bounds). It is used so you don't confuse it with the ##r## that is outside the integral.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM, Tony Hau, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person
Tony Hau said:
Then what is ##r##?
To add perhaps a bit more detail:

That's the coordinate at which you are evaluating the potential. You have a potential that is a function of ##r##, and to evaluate it you must integrate over the region of space where there is non-zero charge density. You can't use ##r## for the dummy integration variable, so it's common to use ##r'## for this.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM, Tony Hau, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person
I think ##\vec r## refers to the direction of the radial distance of the potential at a general point from the centre of the coordinate system, whereas ##\vec r^{'}## is the direction from the centre of the coordinate system to the infinitesmal charge; the angle between them is ##\alpha##, which is also the variable in the Legendre polynomial ##P_{l}(cos\alpha)##.

##\alpha## is quite different from ##\theta## because ##\theta## is the angle from the z axis to ##\vec r##.
 
Tony Hau said:
I think ##\vec{r}## refers to the direction of the radial distance of the potential at a general point from the centre of the coordinate system

I don't know what a "direction of the radial distance" means. ##\vec{r}## is the position vector of the point at which you're evaluating the potential.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM, vanhees71, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
etotheipi said:
I don't know what a "direction of the radial distance" means. ##\vec{r}## is the position vector of the point at which you're evaluating the potential.
My poor English, that's what I want to say.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi