What is the meaning of r' in the Multipole Expansion?

In summary, the problem is that the potential is a function of the coordinate, but the coordinate at which you're evaluating it is different from the dummy coordinate used in the expansion. You need to find the potential at the appropriate coordinate.
Tony Hau
Homework Statement
A sphere of radius R, centred at the origin, carries charge density $$\rho(r,\theta) = k\frac{R}{r^{2}}(R-2r)sin\theta,$$
where ##k## is a constant. Find the approximate potential for points on the z axis, far from the sphere.
Relevant Equations
The multipole expansion: ##V(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{r^{l+1}}\int(r^{'})^{l} P_l (cos\alpha)\rho(r^{'})d\tau^{’}##
The diagram of the problem should look something like this:
1598435599606.png
,which is just the normal spherical coordinate.To calculate the potential far away, we use the multipole expansion.

##I_o## in the expansion is ok, because ##(r^{'})^{0} = 1##.

However, I am wondering how I should calculate ##I_1##, because ##(r^{'})^{1} = r^{'}##; I have to care what ##r^{'}## actually means. I know ##r## is just the normal spherical coordinate ##r##.

Can anyone kindly explain? Thanks for your answer in advance because I have learned a great deal from the forum!

Attachments

• 1598435547876.png
    1598435547876.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 110
Physics news on Phys.org
##r'## is the coordinate of charge particles inside sphere.

Likes etotheipi
Abhishek11235 said:
##r'## is the coordinate of charge particles inside sphere.
Then what is ##r##?

It is called a dummy argument. It still represents the radial coordinate and should disappear after integration (which is a definite integral, don't forget the bounds). It is used so you don't confuse it with the ##r## that is outside the integral.

Likes JD_PM, Tony Hau, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person
Tony Hau said:
Then what is ##r##?
To add perhaps a bit more detail:

That's the coordinate at which you are evaluating the potential. You have a potential that is a function of ##r##, and to evaluate it you must integrate over the region of space where there is non-zero charge density. You can't use ##r## for the dummy integration variable, so it's common to use ##r'## for this.

Likes JD_PM, Tony Hau, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person
I think ##\vec r## refers to the direction of the radial distance of the potential at a general point from the centre of the coordinate system, whereas ##\vec r^{'}## is the direction from the centre of the coordinate system to the infinitesmal charge; the angle between them is ##\alpha##, which is also the variable in the Legendre polynomial ##P_{l}(cos\alpha)##.

##\alpha## is quite different from ##\theta## because ##\theta## is the angle from the z axis to ##\vec r##.

Tony Hau said:
I think ##\vec{r}## refers to the direction of the radial distance of the potential at a general point from the centre of the coordinate system

I don't know what a "direction of the radial distance" means. ##\vec{r}## is the position vector of the point at which you're evaluating the potential.

Likes JD_PM, vanhees71, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
etotheipi said:
I don't know what a "direction of the radial distance" means. ##\vec{r}## is the position vector of the point at which you're evaluating the potential.
My poor English, that's what I want to say.

Likes etotheipi
Hint: Check your "relevant equation"!

1. What is the Multipole Expansion?

The Multipole Expansion is a mathematical technique used in physics to represent the potential of a system as a sum of terms, each corresponding to a different order of multipole moment. It is commonly used in electrostatics, magnetostatics, and fluid dynamics.

2. What is the meaning of r' in the Multipole Expansion?

In the Multipole Expansion, r' represents the distance between the point of interest and the source of the potential. It is typically used in the expression for the electric potential, where r' is the distance between the point and the charge distribution.

3. How is r' related to the multipole moments in the expansion?

The multipole moments in the expansion are related to r' through the Legendre polynomials and spherical harmonics. These mathematical functions are used to express the potential at a point in terms of the multipole moments and the distance r'.

4. Why is the Multipole Expansion useful?

The Multipole Expansion allows us to approximate the potential of a system by only considering the most important terms, rather than having to calculate the potential at every point. This makes calculations simpler and more efficient, especially for systems with complex geometries.

5. How is the Multipole Expansion used in practical applications?

The Multipole Expansion is used in various fields of physics, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and astrophysics. It is used to calculate the potential and fields of systems with spherical or nearly-spherical symmetry, such as atoms, molecules, and planets. It is also used in the study of multipole radiation and scattering phenomena.