Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the meaning of this equation?

Tags:
  1. Oct 6, 2016 #1
    Thinking back to my intro to modern physics course a while back, one particular equation always sticks out to me but I never quite understood how to interpret it properly. We were doing some basic QM and looking at the normalization of the wave function in 1D. It looked something like this;

∫|Ψ(x)|2dx

If I remember correctly but I don't have my book with me. The limits of integration were from -∞ to ∞ and then were readjusted to be from 0 to L (L being the length of the box or well.) I'm hoping that I didnt make a mistake typing it but provided I didn't, what is the meaning of the infinite limits of integration? I have always been thinking of it as the definition of existence, where the infinite bounds represent the bounds of the universe, but the more I think of it that way the less sense it makes. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The wave function is defined over all of space, therefore the integration has to be done from -∞ to ∞. Thinking of it as "the bound of the universe" is not helpful, as that runs into conceptual problems. It is in a sense a mathematical construct, but it works very well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted