What is the meaning of transcendentals for calc books?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mindheavy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 9K views
mindheavy
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
I see these calculus books, some titled 'early transcendentals' some 'late transcendentals'. What does this mean? What is the difference?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It means that book is bad. Just get a copy of Lang or Spivak's calculus.

Seriously (or not): it means that functions such as [itex]e^x[/itex] are introduced later or earlier in the book.
 
wow. I've seen this book by Lang recommended before. I'm in Calculus I currently, and my school is using Larson's Calculus for Calc I,II, and III, which I will be taking all of. Would you recommend either of Lang or Spivak as supplemental reading or that I just stick to the prescribed course book? I do enjoy having multiple sources of literature to gain more perspective on sometimes. Thoughts?
 
Confusing and plain bad terminology, indeed. There's only one type of transcendentals = numerical values in the images of transcendental functions, such as sin x.
 
Another thing that interests me is, most 'older' texts seem to present the integral before the derivative, while some books present the limit->derivative->integrals, is there any reasoning behind the order of presentation, or are they completely interchangeable and authors preference?
 
Last edited:
micromass said:
It means that book is bad. Just get a copy of Lang or Spivak's calculus.

Ahahaha and I was thinking of a clever way to answer this question! :D

Well said! :D

SolsticeFire