What is the minimum speed needed for a trout to jump a 2.5 m waterfall?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
whyorwhynot
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Kinematics Problem (Solved)

I greatly apologize for making this my very first post. I am in great need of assistance though, and I hope someone can help me comprehend how to solve this.
It seems relatively simple, but it does not seem to be clicking in my mind at the moment.

Homework Statement


A trout jumps a waterfall 2.5 m high. With what minimum speed did it leave the water below to reach the top?


Homework Equations


Issue at hand.


The Attempt at a Solution


I understand that Vf(final) = 0 m/s, x = 2.5 m, and Vo is what I am solving for.
I have a card of equations but I'm unsure as to which would apply to this. And I don't believe gravity plays a part in this, does it?

Thank you so much for your assistance.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity does play a part. In fact it would reach the top at any speed greater than zero if it weren't for gravity.
 
That makes much more sense then.
We've been using -9.8 m/s^2 in reference to falling objects though. Would this become +9.8 m/s^2 since the frog is jumping up, not down?

Thank you very much by the way!
 
No. Gravity is ALWAYS directed downward. If you defined up as the positive Y direction, then acceleration due to gravity is going to be negative.

Hope that helps :)
 
I understand it now. Thank you both so so much for your help!