What is the minimum speed needed for a trout to jump a 2.5 m waterfall?

In summary, the problem involves a trout jumping a 2.5 m high waterfall and the minimum speed it needs to leave the water below to reach the top. Gravity plays a role in this problem and is always directed downward. The equation Vf(final) = 0 m/s and x = 2.5 m are given, and Vo is the unknown. By using the equation for acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2), the minimum speed needed can be calculated.
whyorwhynot
Kinematics Problem (Solved)

I greatly apologize for making this my very first post. I am in great need of assistance though, and I hope someone can help me comprehend how to solve this.
It seems relatively simple, but it does not seem to be clicking in my mind at the moment.

Homework Statement

A trout jumps a waterfall 2.5 m high. With what minimum speed did it leave the water below to reach the top?

Homework Equations

Issue at hand.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that Vf(final) = 0 m/s, x = 2.5 m, and Vo is what I am solving for.
I have a card of equations but I'm unsure as to which would apply to this. And I don't believe gravity plays a part in this, does it?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity does play a part. In fact it would reach the top at any speed greater than zero if it weren't for gravity.

That makes much more sense then.
We've been using -9.8 m/s^2 in reference to falling objects though. Would this become +9.8 m/s^2 since the frog is jumping up, not down?

Thank you very much by the way!

No. Gravity is ALWAYS directed downward. If you defined up as the positive Y direction, then acceleration due to gravity is going to be negative.

Hope that helps :)

I understand it now. Thank you both so so much for your help!

Related to What is the minimum speed needed for a trout to jump a 2.5 m waterfall?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of motion.

2. How is kinematics related to trout?

In the context of a kinematics problem on trout, kinematics would involve studying the motion of a trout, such as its speed, acceleration, and displacement.

3. What are some common kinematics equations used in solving problems related to trout?

Some common kinematics equations used in solving problems related to trout include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as the equations for uniform motion and uniformly accelerated motion.

4. What factors can affect the kinematics of a trout?

The kinematics of a trout can be affected by factors such as the water current, the size and shape of the trout, and any external forces acting on the trout, such as fishing lines or predators.

5. How can kinematics be applied to studying the behavior of trout in their natural habitat?

Kinematics can be applied to studying the behavior of trout in their natural habitat by analyzing their movements and patterns of motion, which can provide insights into their feeding habits, migration patterns, and responses to environmental changes.