What Is the Minimum Time for SHM Particle to Travel Between Two Points?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 4K views
gracy said:
Because trig functions have always angles (either in radians or in degrees) as an argument / input . Right?
Yes.
gracy said:
What other quantities can become argument of trig functions?
As far as I know, no other.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
One more question. We can't take directly y=25 cm (12.5+12.5)cm i.e distance between points (points of interest) a & b
pointsab.png

because "y" in the equation ##y##=##a## sin ##w####t## is distance from mean position . I also tried to calculate it
25=25 sin (120 t)
1=sin (120 t)
(120 t)=90
t=90/120
t=0.75 s
Look, I got wrong answer, I should've got 0.5 s. This proves what I just wrote above. Right?
 
gracy said:
because "y" in the equation yyy=aaa sin wwwttt is distance from mean position .
Yes, that exactly the reason.
gracy said:
25=25 sin (120 t)
1=sin (120 t)
(120 t)=90
t=90/120
t=0.75 s
You are basically calculating the time needed from the mean position to the point of farthest displacement - the amplitude. That's why what you got is a quarter of the period.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy