What Is the Molecular Formula of the Hydrocarbon in This Combustion Analysis?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ose90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Molecular
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Ose90
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




6.0 cm^3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon was sparked with 34.5 cm^3 of oxygen. The volume of the gaseous products after cooling to room temperature was 22.5 cm^3. The volume was reduced to 4.5 cm^3 on passing the gases through aqueous potassium hydroxide. What is the molecular formula of hydrocarbon?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



CxHy + ( x + y/4 ) O2 ----> x CO2 + Y/2 H2O

Is this equation correct?Do I miss out any product?

my doubts : First, I try calculating the volume of CO2 produced and It is 18cm^3 and the volume of H2O is apparently 4.5 cm^3. What should I do next?
How to find the volume of oxygen gas that has reacted? Should I convert them into moles by dividing the volume of room temperature? I'm confused :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ose90 said:
First, I try calculating the volume of CO2 produced and It is 18 cm3 and the volume of H2O is apparently 4.5 cm3. What should I do next?
How to find the volume of oxygen gas that has reacted? Should I convert them into moles by dividing the volume of room temperature? I'm confused :(


You have found the volume of CO2. Convert it to moles to determine 'x'. What remains is water vapor. Find the number of moles of that and determine 'y'.