What is the most amount of alcohol you drank in 1 day?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary: I was pretty wasted, so it's hard to remember. All I know is that I woke up the next day in a hospital bed with a terrible headache, vertigo, and nausea. :yuck:
gravenewworld said:
You'd be surprised how much some people can drink. I've seen some dudes kill a whole 30 pack plus more by themselves in a day. It all depends on how fast you drink 23 pints of beer. It could easily be done over the course of 12 hours. Here is a video of a guy doing 50 shots at the bar over the course of a few hours:

(granted it's peach schnopps, but it is still a ridiculous amount of alcohol)

I read once that in Japan it is socially acceptable for business men to go out after work and get totally bombed with each other. People of Asian decent have a much higher chance of being much more sensitive to alcohol, so in Japan they lose tons and tons of work days from people calling in sick with a hangover.

Notice the guy in the video looks about 20 stone and that he does not actually drink it in the sense he metabolises it, he brings most of it back up.
There was a Canadian snooker player who used to drink 6-8 pints before he started
playing and then one a frame (to calm his tremor), he was said to drink 20 pints a day.
(one report said 50, but such things are very prone to exaggeration), he too was about 20 stone, obviously the bigger you are the more you can 'absorb' the alcohol to a certain extend.
He did die at 56 though. When I was at university there was a guy, about 5'10
and slightly built you could drink a yard of ale (2.5 - 3 pints) in a few seconds, but he would then go to the gents to throw it all back up. I remember seeing some eating competition where a slightly built girl beat a load of guys 2 or 3 times her weight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What tends to happen is that those that are bigger have a better liver than most other people else they would not be able to reach that size normally. I watched a documentary about a guy that was 50+ stones and they tested all his body functions and said his liver was unbelievable and could cope with all the crap he threw at it. This was a guy that could drink 30 pints a night. There was another documentary about a morbidly obese guy and he could also drink 25+ pints per night. There must be some sort of connection which I'm sure Moonbear will know of.

People all have different abilities.

What are stones and pints.

Lbs and Oz god dammit!

Never drink a pint of Stones. Its awful.

I'm an alcohol virgin, and you people have put me of forever. :bugeye:

:biggrin:

6 or 7 drinks in one night. Maybe 4 or 5 in one hour. Never have thrown up, but have felt a little wobbly :smile:

Most I've ever had was 3 or 4 rye and cokes and a beer, during the oilers playoff run when a friend and I went to watch the game for his birthday, so yes I am obviously not a big drinker. It never gave me so much as a buzz but I ran out of money so I never had any more. Usually just a cooler around the campfire for me. You can pretty much count the number of drinks I have in a year on one hand. I prefer to spend my money on other things. Doesn't help that I hate beer, I have to have the pretty girly drinks.

The most I have ever drank in a day is about 10 pints, but that was over 12 hours, you
typically metobalise 1/2 a pint in and hour, so after 12 hours you have metabolised 6 pints,
so you don't really feel that drunk, I actually felt 'fairly' sober on that occasion, effectively I only had 4 pints in me.
I have felt a lot worse on less, drank over a shorter timescale. It is a case of how much
alcohol is in your blood stream, not what you have drank.

Incidently (I have heard) for people who have drank methanol, which is more poisonous then alcohol, the antidote is to give them alcohol, as the liver will metobolise that first, giving it more time to recover. I'm not stating that as fact obviously, I just recall reading it, I might have been drunk at the time so don't take it as gospel ;O)

esbo said:
Incidently (I have heard) for people who have drank methanol, which is more poisonous then alcohol, the antidote is to give them alcohol, as the liver will metobolise that first, giving it more time to recover. I'm not stating that as fact obviously, I just recall reading it, I might have been drunk at the time so don't take it as gospel ;O)

No that is true. It's not uncommon for an alcoholic who can't afford booze to drink something with methanol in it and then go to the hospital for an ethanol drip. There are guys that will be in multiple times a week, at different hospitals each time until someone wises up to it. Some get so bold as to walk in and actually request an ethanol drip because they ingested methanol haha.

Moridin said:
I'm an alcohol virgin, and you people have put me of forever. :bugeye:

:biggrin:

You're probably better off for it. I have friends who don't drink at all. One because she grew up around an alcoholic father so doesn't even want to take a chance touching the stuff, and another who just doesn't like the taste, so sticks with Cokes when we go out or have parties.

About 7 beer bongs in about an hour. The next part is embarrassing but here goes. I actually pissed my pants. Funny thing was that I came out of the bathroom and everyone was laughing and pointing telling me I pissed my pants. The only logic I found since I remember standing at the toilet was that I forgot to unzip. Later that night after puking I was carried by two friends away form the toilet like a crucifix. Not a good night (or mourning).

2 40 oz beers, 1 5th of jack and 5th of jim bean-each(straight). And a bottle of cheap wine.

It was the only time I ever blacked out. That was 15 years ago, and nowadays my idea of fun is a nice glass of merlot or a reisling.

On a side note, someone mentioned alchoholism running in their family. Addiction runs in my family, and I'm proud to say I've broken the cycle. I've never had any problems with drugs or alcohol except what any normal teen/twenty something goes through. Or if I did, I got bored with it.

All things in moderation.

bassplayer142 said:
About 7 beer bongs in about an hour. The next part is embarrassing but here goes. I actually pissed my pants. Funny thing was that I came out of the bathroom and everyone was laughing and pointing telling me I pissed my pants. The only logic I found since I remember standing at the toilet was that I forgot to unzip. Later that night after puking I was carried by two friends away form the toilet like a crucifix. Not a good night (or mourning).

Is this kind of story meant to be impressive? Good for you; you're crap at beer pong, can't take your drink and don't know your limit!

Anyone who thinks it's great to be able to down 18 pints and still walk home, clearly hasn't understood the economic benefits of being a relative light weight. :smile: Or is between 18-24 possibly. :wink:

cristo said:
Is this kind of story meant to be impressive? Good for you; you're crap at beer pong, can't take your drink and don't know your limit!

Not Beer Pong, Beer Bong. I know my limit until I pick one up because no matter how much you drink you can't feel it. When I pick one up I can get out of control. Not impressive either just funny.

Cyrus said:
What are stones and pints.

Lbs and Oz god dammit!

When you get a pint at a typical American bar, it is 16 oz. When you go to Europe, a lot of the times a pint of beer is a little bit bigger, probably around 20 oz.

gravenewworld said:
Me: half a bottle of 151 and a 1/4 bottle of tequila. Also 3/4 of a 5th of JD.

Yes it was dumb and yes I was very sick the next day. Next?

boy oh boy---151 and 1800----brings back a lot of false memories of how much fun it was

--oh yeah--and $2 pitchers

Last edited:
I don't drink alcohol much because most of the alcohol taste bitter and has no flavor. I don't see the 'thrill' people get out of it. Alcohol is wayyy overrated.

Two ounces of Everclear was enough to knock me on my arse. Never again!

You can have fun with alcohol. I don't know how some of you say it's dumb and retarded. And I also don't understand how some of you went overboard either.

I don't drink often at all, but I do have fun when I do. I wouldn't do it otherwise. (I do go out a lot though.)

JasonRox said:
You can have fun with alcohol. I don't know how some of you say it's dumb and retarded. And I also don't understand how some of you went overboard either.

I don't drink often at all, but I do have fun when I do. I wouldn't do it otherwise. (I do go out a lot though.)

Of course you can have fun, but when you drink so much that you pass out or get extremely sick the next day it is dumb. There's drunk, and then there is excessive drunk.It is easy to go overboard, especially when you are with friends who like to party a lot but can drink more than you.

I think its dumb, these kids that go out every weekend and get totally wasted. It's like "Go get a syringe and some 200 proof sh!t and just shoot it up, it'll do you better"

Hey guys !

Pleasure to be here - I love physics, computers, women etc - anything logical.

Ok - scratch the women bit - but come one, there are SOME things that the laws of physics can't handle.

Re drinks - wow - I am a bona-fide alcoholic - so maybe I'm a bad one to reply on this forum - but I thought it may make a few of you guys feel better.

Sometimes I am on the waggon - nothing at all, and sometimes I fall off in grandios style - but to put it into perspective...

I fancied a drink at the start of this month sometime, so I bought a 375ml bottle of vodka (Pushkin at 43% abv.) - I had polished that off with a bottle of coca-cola by around 10am, and, in the mood, went out to a meeting where we had beers - I had 6 'Castle' Drafts - which is 6 litres at 5.5% abv - so there's a lot of water there.

On the way home I bought a 'box' of wine (Namaqua Blanc de Blanc - 12.5% abv) - this is common here in South Africa - you can buy a 5 litre sack of wine in a box with it's own little tap on the front - I polished that off with ice and soda.

By around 10pm I was watching TV, a couple of friends had come around to my pad with a few girls and the booze started flowing again... so what could I do?

This time is was brandy (Richlieu) and coke - another favourite over here...

I went to bed (not alone, I hasten to add) at around 4am - the only adverse effect of the copious quantity of alcohol I had consumed was my lack of libido - I could have countered this with a little blue pill, but felt sorry for my heart and the stress this would put it under, bearing in mind the fact I had got through about 5 packs of Camel Lights during the day (I should have stuck to filter or at least mild, as since I switched to lights, I smoke twice as much at least).

At 40 years old, I feel 30, I look 50, but I'm still having a good time, and whilst the money keeps flowing, the jokes keep going and the (ever younger) women keep coming, then why should I worry?

That day, I have no idea how much I drank - but it should have been enough to put a rhino out - is this good or bad?

All I can say, my fellow doctors, associate professors under-graduate (and p/g) friends I have shared with along the way, don't feel too bad - there's always someone better or worse (there go the vows!)

I'll leave you with a quote...

"If you are scared of falling, don’t climb. Only those not afraid of falling will reach the very top. Just make sure you fall because of a loose rock or slippery boots, not too many pints at some boozer on the way up…"

If you are wondering "Who said that?" - it was me !

Keep on keeping on...

Matt

I don't think and I don't ever want to. My body might be able to take it, but if I drink I will somewhat become an example to others that it is "okay to drink". It all leads to people doing stuff that should not have happened in the first place.

I don't think it's true that drinking doesn't affect other people like smoking does.

Anyone had a "Four Horsemen"? It's a "Three Wisemen" with Crown Royal. As a tumbler drink! A few of those will knock you out cold!

I went to a wedding last week and I drank two bottles of wine during diner (one white and one red), then took 10 shots of whisky, and then a couple rye and cokes.

Yeah, that was crazy.

Only problem with wine is that I never remember the previous night.

Note: I quit drinking beer. Wine wins.

Hey kudoushinichi88

Nice comment - and I'm no authority on this, plus it's more philosophy than physics - but I feel I have to say it...

There are very few people on God's Earth who are capable of successfully second guessing every conscious action they make lest it be a bad example to others, examples being St Paul, or more recently Mother Theresa.

Realistically, whether it's having a bacon sandwich rather than museli for breakfast, a glass of wine rather than a soda, or choosing cottage cheese over cheddar - it's a personal choice.

Fair enough, if you're in the presence of an alcoholic, don't cause your brother to fall, and if you know he/she battles with temptation, have a coffee or an OJ rather than a double whatever on the rocks...

But one thing I can tell you is this - by advertising that you are attempting to live your life as an example to others to the extent that you deny yourself the simple pleasures, (and listen to me - the important bit is where I say "by advertising"), then you are setting the scene for a fall from grace.

Again, to re-iterate, I honour your intentions which are obviously noble - just be careful.

Very best and cheers cheers :-)

Matt

Yo JasonRox !

sounds like a good wedding !

Off down town now for a few shots - hopefully I'll be sober enough to enjoy when I meet a drunk Paris Hilton lookalike to take advantage of...

Matt.

“Physics isn't a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money.”

@Matt
I don't get it. There are 4 pages of examples in this thread alone what alcohol can do on people. It doesn't need a second guessing to know drinking is bad.

And what 'pleasure' is there in drinking and having painful hangovers? Not to mention the terrible stuff alcohol can cause such as domestic violence. There are still plenty of 'simple pleasures' in this world to indulge in.

If I was talking about smoking instead of drinking in my previous post, someone somewhere might come out with a similar response like yours. But you know smoking is bad, don't you? (unless of course you are pro-smoking like a certain idiot I know)

Drinking poses even more serious health problems (liver probs, you become fat etc.). Furthermore, it doesn't just affect the body, it also affects social life as well (eg. your intoxicated friend accidentally told your wife you slept with that other woman)

Funny that even though the effects of alcohol is far worse compared to smoking, smoking is frowned upon more than drinking.

I do realize that drinking is prolly what brings together in a party and one may argue that drinking can lead to social bonding and stuff like that. I've heard pro-drinking statements that wine can be good for health.

I do not deny the good things drinking can bring, but the detriment alcohol can bring far outweighs the good. It's just logical to not drink at all.

I understand it is in the end a personal choice whether to drink or not to drink. I can't expect everyone to stop drinking. But I hope one day drinking is looked upon socially as something bad as how most people look upon smoking now. Now that's progress.

I'll shut up now and let people continue to chronicle the stupid stuff they've done as the result of their drinking.

Amen kudoushinichi88 - drinking irresponsibly is defo v. bad.

If your dad and mom go out and have a neuf du pape with supper there's no problem - but going out on the town and downing shooters to get sloshed is wrong.

You go girl - I'm with you on your mission to stop binge drinking.

Peace out.

Matt

I've never had alcohol, which people don't expect of a non-religious 21 year old.

ekrim said:
I've never had alcohol, which people don't expect of a non-religious 21 year old.

Alcohol is an acquired taste. I used to hate the taste of beer, but now I drink one every day and enjoy the bitter flavor. Currently, I'm drinking Red Stripe "HOORAY BEER!"

You should try alcohol.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone had a "Four Horsemen"? It's a "Three Wisemen" with Crown Royal. As a tumbler drink! A few of those will knock you out cold!

3 wisemen=TERRIBLE shot

4 horsemen= probably worse

I've never really had alcohol either, and really don't plan to start to drink anytime soon. I've just seen too much bad come from it...

mcknia07 said:
I've never really had alcohol either, and really don't plan to start to drink anytime soon. I've just seen too much bad come from it...

Well, that's really not a very rational decision. You're missing out on something new out of irrational fear. Drinking a beer isn't going to do anything to you.

<h2>1. What is considered a dangerous amount of alcohol to consume in one day?</h2><p>The amount of alcohol that is considered dangerous to consume in one day varies depending on factors such as weight, age, and overall health. However, generally speaking, consuming more than four drinks in one day for men and three drinks for women is considered excessive and can lead to negative health consequences.</p><h2>2. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day lead to alcohol poisoning?</h2><p>Yes, consuming a large amount of alcohol in one day can lead to alcohol poisoning. This occurs when the body's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) rises to a dangerously high level, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, and loss of consciousness. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone you know may have alcohol poisoning.</p><h2>3. What are the short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day?</h2><p>The short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can include impaired judgment, motor coordination, and reaction time, as well as nausea, vomiting, and loss of consciousness. These effects can increase the risk of accidents, injuries, and alcohol-related incidents.</p><h2>4. Is it possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol and drink more in one day without feeling the effects?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol, which means that the body becomes used to the effects of alcohol and requires larger amounts to feel the same effects. However, even if a person does not feel the effects of alcohol, their BAC may still be dangerously high, putting them at risk for alcohol poisoning and other negative consequences.</p><h2>5. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day have long-term effects on health?</h2><p>Yes, drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can have long-term effects on health. Repeated episodes of excessive drinking can lead to liver damage, heart disease, and other serious health conditions. It is important to drink alcohol in moderation and stay within recommended guidelines to maintain good health in the long term.</p>

1. What is considered a dangerous amount of alcohol to consume in one day?

The amount of alcohol that is considered dangerous to consume in one day varies depending on factors such as weight, age, and overall health. However, generally speaking, consuming more than four drinks in one day for men and three drinks for women is considered excessive and can lead to negative health consequences.

2. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day lead to alcohol poisoning?

Yes, consuming a large amount of alcohol in one day can lead to alcohol poisoning. This occurs when the body's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) rises to a dangerously high level, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, and loss of consciousness. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone you know may have alcohol poisoning.

3. What are the short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day?

The short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can include impaired judgment, motor coordination, and reaction time, as well as nausea, vomiting, and loss of consciousness. These effects can increase the risk of accidents, injuries, and alcohol-related incidents.

4. Is it possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol and drink more in one day without feeling the effects?

Yes, it is possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol, which means that the body becomes used to the effects of alcohol and requires larger amounts to feel the same effects. However, even if a person does not feel the effects of alcohol, their BAC may still be dangerously high, putting them at risk for alcohol poisoning and other negative consequences.

5. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day have long-term effects on health?

Yes, drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can have long-term effects on health. Repeated episodes of excessive drinking can lead to liver damage, heart disease, and other serious health conditions. It is important to drink alcohol in moderation and stay within recommended guidelines to maintain good health in the long term.