What Is the Most Common Gas in Earth's Atmosphere?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
69 replies · 18K views
Biology news on Phys.org
86%, mostly failed astronomy questions about which moons were where and who's the brightest next to the moon, etc. And I thought nimbus meant vertically developed, not precipitating.
 
I also scored 86%. Missed mostly life science questions.

I got the nimbus question wrong as well- answered "high altitude".
 
70%. That was a nice quiz, although being fluent in Greek would have certainly helped.
 
70%. Showed me I need to learn more about geology and biology. I forgot a whole lot of what I learned. Also got a bunch of solar-system questions wrong, which I feel bad about considering I'm an astronomer.
 
I couldn't resist the urge to cheat. :redface:

Sadly, most of my answers came from watching documentaries on tv, or is that a good thing?
 
I think the quiz was linked to before, I recognized the question with paleolithic and Pleistocene, since both dating are about equal but the definition is different.
 
82%. I wouldn't even have gotten that score except they give alternate routes to the answer, such as the Latin origin of the name of the correct answer.
 
94%. I got nimbus, the moon with liquid water and the coefficient of friction wrong (I always used k). I educated-guessed a couple of the biology ones.

The way the questions are constructed, a decent classicist could get about half marks knowing nothing about science - see Athena and Thunder Lizard, for example.
 
94%. I got lowest surface gravity, nimbus, and 8 minutes from sun to Earth wrong. I knew the answer for sun to earth, but clicked on 8 seconds instead of 8 minutes.

I want to strangle the guy who decided that in order to take a quiz with 50 multiple choice questions in it, it would be necessary to download 100 web pages.
 
^ I know. You have to click 'next' twice to get to the next question.
 
92% without cheating, but with a good portion of luck. The Nimbus got me, and so did radon (shame on me!), thymine and the zygote. I won't tell which ones I guessed :-)

BTW, how high do you have to score to count as literate?
 
M Quack said:
92% without cheating, but with a good portion of luck. The Nimbus got me, and so did radon (shame on me!), thymine and the zygote. I won't tell which ones I guessed :-)

BTW, how high do you have to score to count as literate?

You are 92% literate sir.
 
84%

Would have been a few points lower were it not for good guessing/elimination strategies. If I had to fill in the blank as the answer things would have been pretty different.
 
88%.

I blame it on professor Elizabeth Harbron, who was giving me the Evil Eye throughout the entire test.
 
DaveC426913 said:
88%. Do I have to tear my science badge off my uniform?
just cheat
 
Evo said:
just cheat


Ah! Well in that case, I scored 131%.
 
davec426913 said:
ah! Well in that case, i scored 131%.
wow!
 
88%. Apparently I don't remember some astronomical facts and other boring stuff.
 
Looks like I'm winning with 96%. Missed the trans-pluto object and -nimbus.
I think my Jepordy skills helped. They gave you several contextual clues in each question just like Jepordy.
 
84%, I got only two wrong answers until the last few questions. I got a little cocky.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Ah! Well in that case, I scored 131%.

Just like Vladimir Putin's approval rating!
 
Curious3141 said:
90%, and an agreeable amount of time wasted. :smile:

90%, and an even greater amount of time wasted.

I transcribed the entire quiz(cut and paste of course).:redface:

When they listed choices for the age of the earth, I had to laugh:
10. Approximately how old is the Earth?
6015 years
100,000 years
4.5 million years
4.5 billion years

There should be more humor in quizzes.

ps. I found and took the quiz on July 8th, while looking for information on the Higgs boson.
 
I got 98%. Knowing Greek terms helped, as well as having done meteorology and general science courses in the past! I was hesitant about only one answer, which was mu for coefficient of friction.

The one I got wrong was when I apparently clicked "oblong" (!) instead of "scalene" for an unequal-sided triangle. I was surprised when I saw which answer was highlighted, as I was unaware of clicking the wrong one.
 
84%. I got really impatient towards the end - I didn't like the format!

I wish they had it all on one page. Also would be better if they didn't show if you're right or wrong after every answer. That could discourage a lot of people who aren't "scientifically literate", and make them give up only a few questions into the test.
 
74% -- I haven't taken a course in chemistry or biology, so I guessed on most of the questions related to those fields.

I don't like multiple choice tests; knowing which answers are wrong does not make me feel literate in a given area. It makes me feel like an impostor because if anyone were to ask me how I knew my answers were correct, I'd have to admit to heavy use of deductive reasoning rather than my knowledge and application of the theory behind whatever principle is being asked about. :frown: