What is the most difficult and advanced level of math that exists?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    advanced
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 18K views
FishmanGeertz
Messages
189
Reaction score
0
I have a learning disability solely in math comprehension, much of the advanced math was omitted throughout my high school career. I was able to graduate without any very difficult math.

But I'm curious, what is the most complex, difficult, and advanced level of mathematics that exists?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The level nobody has reached yet.

Honestly your question is pretty meaningless. Different areas of math are difficult to different people.
 
Well, the most difficult math doesn't exist. But there certainly are some mathematical things that are very advanced and very difficult, for example:

- the classification of all simple groups: it's a staggering 10000 pages long and it would take a professional mathematician many years to fully understand the proof.

- the proof of Fermat's last theorem: it would surprise me if there were more than 100 people in this world who understand it
 
micromass said:
- the proof of Fermat's last theorem: it would surprise me if there were more than 100 people in this world who understand it

I don't know about that, here are a couple books that explain it, & with plenty of references to build up the background:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=W1Nso5E6G3YC
http://books.google.ca/books?id=Va-quzVwtMsC
If there are still so few people who understand it, it's only because so few bother to try. I bet a lot of grad students could understand it at this point.