Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the most popular social media? Poll

1. Facebook

35.7%
  2. Twitter

7.1%
  3. Instagram

28.6%
  4. Snapchat

14.3%
  5. Whatsapp

35.7%
  6. Youtube

64.3%
  7. Google+

7.1%
  8. Pinterest

7.1%
  9. Tumblr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Linkedin

35.7%
  11. Wechat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Messenger

14.3%
  13. Reddit

21.4%
  14. Flickr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Physics Forums :)

85.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:28 AM #1

ISamson

Gold Member

Please vote what social media accounts you have and use in my poll. I was always interested in what social media is the most popular, and want to experiment in the small community of PF.
    You can choose multiple from:
    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Whatsapp, Youtube, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, Linkedin, Wechat, Messenger, Reddit, Flickr.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:28 AM #2
    I have a facebook page but I don't really use it. Don't use any of the others. LinkedIn seems like a worthwhile commitment.

Not sure what precisely qualifies as social media here, either.

4. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:13 PM #3

BillTre

Science Advisor

It would be intersting to know how many people voted in total since multiple votes are possible.
    Is that data possible to retrieve, or is it lost?

5. Aug 13, 2018 at 12:53 AM #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I use Facebook very lightly, a few times per month. It’s usually for reading. I post very seldom.

I occasionally post hobby-related videos to YouTube. I don’t make any effort to maintain a “community” around them.

6. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:35 AM #5

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

I voted for three: youtube, whatsapp and PF. I don't know whether I use youtube like a social media, since I mostly use it for lectures. Whatsapp is there on my phone, but I hardly open it, maybe once in a week, if needed. But I visit PF everyday. So that qualifies as a social media.

7. Aug 13, 2018 at 6:50 AM #6

ISamson

Gold Member

Well, well. Very interesting and valuable results in the poll. I was hoping for quite a few votes, very good results.
    I voted for Whatsapp, which I use very often on a daily basis to text friends about school work.
    Snapchat, well, I have it for the same thing: to text friends, but I find that it is very uncomfortable compared to Whatsapp, for example.
    Instagram, I have an account, however I even recently deleted it, as I want to stop myself from using it, as it is extremely distracting and often stupid.
    And, of course, PF.
    Pretty much anything social, that you get connected to other people with, well, excluding SMS.
    I am not sure how that would be possible. Do you, by any chance? Why do you want to know how many people voted in total?

8. Aug 13, 2018 at 8:26 AM #7

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

If you check the "Add poll" option on the thread creation page, there is no option to display the total number of votes. Maybe that is recorded by the software, but there is no way to display that publicly. But if you want, you can calculate that from the percentage, shown beside each option. Till now, about 9 people have voted, if I am not wrong with my calculations.

9. Aug 13, 2018 at 9:02 AM #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Maybe its grey, but I don't understand your criteria. What makes a messaging app "social media" and SMS not? I wouldn't have included either.

To me, what makes the social in social media is that other users can find you and view your public profile and posts.

Also, isnt "messenger" facebook or is there a 3rd party app with that name?

10. Aug 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The social media platforms I use most frequently are LinkedIn (for networking purposes) and Physics Forums (obviously! ;))

I also occasionally peruse Reddit for interesting sub-forums on science, technology, food/drink/travel, and occasional other miscellaneous topics. Facebook I use rarely and mainly just to send messages to friends and distant family members. I technically have a Twitter account, but I didn't vote for it since I don't actually ever Tweet (aka post anything on Twitter) -- I use Twitter strictly as a news feed.

I did vote for YouTube because I do watch YouTube clips about science, technology, news, film and book reviews, food & travel, and other miscellaneous topics (I consider YouTube to be similar to Netflix as an alternative to TV watching, which I have long since stopped watching years ago).

11. Aug 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM #10

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

This data can currently be deduced from the number of votes for a particular item and the percentage given next to that number.

12. Aug 13, 2018 at 12:18 PM #11

BillTre

Science Advisor

What I am interested in is the total number of people voting on the survey, not on individual items.
    This would then indicate the percentage of people responding to the total survey that used some particular item.

13. Aug 13, 2018 at 12:30 PM #12

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

That information is already given as the percentage on the right. For example, at the moment, 10 people have voted for PhysicsForums, which corresponds to 83.3% of the total. This implies that 12 people total have voted, including two who seemingly do not use PhysicsForums.

14. Aug 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM #13

BillTre

Science Advisor

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted