Alternative Email Services to Gmail

• Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
Aufbauwerk 2045
I'm about done with my mini-vacation posting flurry, but before I get back to work I want to ask one question which may be of interest to lots of forum members. I no longer use Google for search, relying instead on DuckDuckGo. I also have the Tor browser, which I use for logging in to my free Proton email account. I used to sign in to Google when I go on YouTube, but I no longer do so. I am not on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, 4chan, 8chan, or any other social media site except for PF.

But I do still use Gmail. I'm considering dumping Gmail. The only time I'm logged in to Google now is when I use Gmail. That way, hopefully, Google is not tracking what I do. I do not visit any "questionable" sites but that's not the point. I don't need Google knowing what I do online. But apparently Google does scan Gmail and applies its "algorithms" whose operations we of course do not really know.

I am considering some options for new email accounts. One would be to purchase a domain name and hosting account which I use specifically to send and receive email. Another would be to pay for email service from some provider. Finally, I could use an alternative to Gmail for free email.

As I mentioned, I use Proton mail, but just as an experiment. I want to know more about them before I decide they are my best option.

Has anyone been using a Gmail alternative, either free or paid, which they are happy with?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Thunderbird.

But it's Mozilla, so you're not getting away from Big Brother.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Has anyone been using a Gmail alternative, either free or paid, which they are happy with?
Dad uses Yahoo, it offers 1TB of free space (compared to the free 15GB by Google). But it is somewhat inferior to Gmail as per my opinion. Gmail now has features like scheduled send and undo send, which Yahoo doesn't have. But if you don't use those, then you can try yahoo.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Klystron
Gold Member
I still use a complimentary email service provided by a company based in the Pacific Northwest began by -- get this -- a software engineer who designed the I/O sequences for CP/M-DOS.

jtbell
Mentor
I use G Suite for my personal email. This is Google's subscription service which provides access to Gmail, Google Docs and Google Drive under my own domain name. I register my domain name and host my web site with a different company.

The college where I worked and still have an email account as a retired faculty member, uses G Suite for Education for its faculty, staff and students.

Google claims that they don't provide data about G Suite customers to third parties, except to government agencies under applicable law. In certain countries this may of course be a major exception.

https://support.google.com/googlecloud/answer/6056650?hl=en