Alternative Email Services to Gmail

• Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the conversation is discussing alternatives to using Gmail for email. The speaker mentions using DuckDuckGo instead of Google for search, and the Tor browser for logging into a free Proton email account. They also mention considering purchasing a domain name and hosting account for email, paying for email service, or using an alternative to Gmail. Other participants suggest using Thunderbird, Yahoo, Torguard, or a complimentary email service. One person mentions using G Suite for their personal email and their college's email. The topic of privacy concerns and Google's data collection practices is also brought up.
Aufbauwerk 2045
I'm about done with my mini-vacation posting flurry, but before I get back to work I want to ask one question which may be of interest to lots of forum members. I no longer use Google for search, relying instead on DuckDuckGo. I also have the Tor browser, which I use for logging into my free Proton email account. I used to sign into Google when I go on YouTube, but I no longer do so. I am not on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, 4chan, 8chan, or any other social media site except for PF.

But I do still use Gmail. I'm considering dumping Gmail. The only time I'm logged into Google now is when I use Gmail. That way, hopefully, Google is not tracking what I do. I do not visit any "questionable" sites but that's not the point. I don't need Google knowing what I do online. But apparently Google does scan Gmail and applies its "algorithms" whose operations we of course do not really know.

I am considering some options for new email accounts. One would be to purchase a domain name and hosting account which I use specifically to send and receive email. Another would be to pay for email service from some provider. Finally, I could use an alternative to Gmail for free email.

As I mentioned, I use Proton mail, but just as an experiment. I want to know more about them before I decide they are my best option.

Has anyone been using a Gmail alternative, either free or paid, which they are happy with?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thunderbird.

But it's Mozilla, so you're not getting away from Big Brother.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Has anyone been using a Gmail alternative, either free or paid, which they are happy with?
Dad uses Yahoo, it offers 1TB of free space (compared to the free 15GB by Google). But it is somewhat inferior to Gmail as per my opinion. Gmail now has features like scheduled send and undo send, which Yahoo doesn't have. But if you don't use those, then you can try yahoo.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
I still use a complimentary email service provided by a company based in the Pacific Northwest began by -- get this -- a software engineer who designed the I/O sequences for CP/M-DOS.

I use G Suite for my personal email. This is Google's subscription service which provides access to Gmail, Google Docs and Google Drive under my own domain name. I register my domain name and host my website with a different company.

The college where I worked and still have an email account as a retired faculty member, uses G Suite for Education for its faculty, staff and students.

Google claims that they don't provide data about G Suite customers to third parties, except to government agencies under applicable law. In certain countries this may of course be a major exception.

https://support.google.com/googlecloud/answer/6056650?hl=en

Likes Klystron

1. What are some popular alternatives to Gmail?

Some popular alternatives to Gmail include Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo Mail, ProtonMail, Zoho Mail, and AOL Mail.

2. Are these alternative email services free to use?

Yes, most of these alternative email services offer free versions with basic features. However, some also offer premium versions with additional features for a fee.

3. How do these alternative email services compare to Gmail in terms of security?

Many of these alternative email services have similar security measures in place, such as encryption and two-factor authentication. However, some may have stronger privacy policies and security features than others, so it's important to research and compare before choosing one.

4. Can I still access my Gmail account if I switch to an alternative email service?

Yes, you can still access your Gmail account even if you switch to a different email service. You can either forward your emails from your Gmail account to the new email address, or you can import your contacts and emails from Gmail to the new service.

5. Do these alternative email services offer the same features as Gmail?

Most of these alternative email services offer similar features to Gmail, such as email organization, spam filtering, and the ability to access emails from multiple devices. However, some may have additional unique features that Gmail does not have, so it's important to research and compare to see which service best fits your needs.