What is the name and application of this probability distribution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Lurco
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi.

In my homework I've encountered a discrete probability distribution of this form:

[tex]f(k,\lambda)=N \frac{\lambda^k}{k!}[/tex]

[tex]k[/tex] is the variable, and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a parameter. I'm curious what is this distribution - what's its name and where can it be applied. I will be grateful for, for example, redirecting me to the proper wikipedia article. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lurco said:
Hi.

In my homework I've encountered a discrete probability distribution of this form:

[itex]f(k;\lambda) = \frac{\lambda ^{k} e^{\lambda}}{k!}[/itex]

[tex]k[/tex] is the variable, and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a parameter. I'm curious what is this distribution - what's its name and where can it be applied. I will be grateful for, for example, redirecting me to the proper wikipedia article. Thanks!

Are you sure you copied the formula correctly? The Poisson distribution is defined by:

[itex]f(k;\lambda) = \frac{\lambda ^{k} e^{-\lambda}}{k!}[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the rate parameter (expected number of events per unit time), and k is the number of events observed.

In evaluating Poisson noise the question becomes [itex]P(k=N_t)[/itex] but your formula still doesn't look right since it lacks the exponential term.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the number N here is used as a normlization factor.

SW VandeCarr said:
Are you sure you copied the formula correctly? The Poisson distribution is defined by:

[itex]f(k;\lambda) = \frac{\lambda ^{k} e^{-k}}{k!}[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the rate parameter (expected number of events per unit time), and k is the number of events observed.

In evaluating Poisson noise the question becomes [itex]P(k=N_t)[/itex] but your formula still doesn't look right since it lacks the exponential term.
 
shuxue1985 said:
I think the number N here is used as a normlization factor.

[EDIT]: After reading the wiki page, yes the value depends on lambda not k.

Can't believe I've used this pdf so many times and forgotten it!
 
Last edited:
Thank you all for responding. Yes, the number N stand for the normalization constant, and in the wikipedia article posted by micromass the exponent is exactly the normalization:
[tex]e^{-\lambda},[/tex]

so i does not vary with k.