Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complaint What is the need of non-physics sub-forums

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1
    Hi

i see that there are lot of other discussions besides physics. maths is required but why waste
    bandwidth on other sciences and even non science related discussion. lets keep focussed
    on physics and maths....

newton

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Some folks involved in mathematics and physics have interests other than math and physics, and some have interests besides math and physics. It generates traffic and revenue, and pays the bills.

4. Oct 4, 2010 #3
    i see...

5. Oct 4, 2010 #4
    Who is to say what is and what is not required?

6. Oct 4, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You :biggrin:

7. Oct 4, 2010 #6
    Correct :biggrin:

8. Oct 4, 2010 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

Hahaaa.

Besides what Astro has mentioned, it's of use to know bits and pieces of every knowledge [you will never conquer full knowledge of one science, and I suppose you would look stupid if you know absolutely nothing at all in any other fields! No offence. :biggrin: o:)]

9. Oct 4, 2010 #8
    I guess it's a tendency to Pile Higher and Deeper, omitting to glance in the holes and on the ivory towers of the neighbor piler :uhh: Maybe a lot of fictitious hypotheses could have been prevented from being generated if only people had peeped a bit over the rim of their own holes a little bit.

10. Oct 4, 2010 #9

drizzle

Gold Member

Sure! My statement never contradicts yours Andre. One can focus on a desired science, but that doesn't mean s/he shouldn't keep up with everything and learn. IMO, and aside from increasing one's awareness, it could help enhance the life of an individual or prevent a possible damage.

11. Oct 4, 2010 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo needs something to do. :tongue:

12. Oct 4, 2010 #11

turbo

Gold Member

We need to see Greg's travel pictures, and Andre's. And Andre and Borek's insects and flowers. Some people love to cook and garden, and some people love to play games with other members. Greg has created a very comfortable home here, with dens, living rooms, art exhibits, kitchens, music rooms, hot tubs (thanks MIH)... a site with lots of variety and chances for social interaction with other people who probably were initially drawn here by a love of science and math.

I think we're OK. Please become a member, OP, and contribute to this wonderful place. Some day, you'll need a place to decompress and chill, and you'll appreciate the broad range of sub-forums.

13. Oct 4, 2010 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where else could us nerds get together? And be excepted?

14. Oct 5, 2010 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I strongly believe there is no community without chit chat. And what makes PF so strong, is its community.

15. Oct 5, 2010 #14
    Be excepted? :biggrin: Was that Freudian?

(Sorry, I'm a word nerd. I couldn't help myself.)

16. Oct 5, 2010 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would hope that all scientists and mathematicians have interests besides math and physics. Othewise we would have a forum full of very poorly adjusted people. :biggrin:

17. Oct 6, 2010 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ironically, one need for a non-physics/non-math subforum is to have a place to post criticisms and suggestions like the one that started this thread.

18. Oct 6, 2010 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can except that. BTW I'm a non-spelling nerd.

19. Oct 9, 2010 #18
    I take acception to that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook