What is the net torque on a pivoted metal plate due to three forces?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
mvpshaq32
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A square metal plate 0.180m on each side is pivoted about an axis through point O at its center and perpendicular to the plate. Calculate the net torque about this axis due to the three forces shown in the figure if the magnitudes of the forces are F1 = 18.0 N, F2 = 17.0 N, and F3 = 14.6 N. The plate and all forces are in the plane of the page. Take positive torques to be counterclockwise.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1039975/3/yf_Figure_10_40.jpg


Homework Equations



Torque=Frsin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to solve this problem by adding 0.09[-Torque1 + Torque2 + Torque3 sin(45)], giving me an answer of 0.839 which was the not right and then I tried using half the length of the diagonal of the square as the radius which was 0.127, giving me a net torque of 1.19 which was also wrong. How do I do this problem then?
 
Physics news on Phys.org